Assistant or Associate Professor of Theology
- Marian University of Indiana
- Indianapolis, IN
- Position Type
- Assistant Professor
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Assistant or Associate Professor of TheologyJob Description:
Marian University-Indianapolis is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts tradition and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. Marian University has experienced significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings.
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, Marian University’s Department of Theology seeks qualified applicants for an Assistant or Associate Professor of Theology to promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity. The Assistant or Associate Professor of Theology position is a full-time, non-tenure track faculty member, with a possibility of conversion to tenure track. Area of specialization is open, but candidates should be able to assist the department in one or more of the following areas: systematic theology, historical theology, moral theology, and/or biblical studies. Candidates should possess the ability to teach broadly and ecumenically in general education, interdisciplinary initiatives, and professional pastoral ministry programs. This position reports to the Chair of the Department of Theology, situated within Marian’s school of Theology, Philosophy, and Ministry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Appreciation for the Catholic and Franciscan charisms of Marian University.
- Teaching load: 18-24 credits per academic year.
- Contribution to a wide and ecumenical array of teaching outlets, including the general education curriculum, collaboration with STEM fields, undergraduate major curriculum, and undergraduate seminary.
- Sharing in the ongoing development and implementation of projects within the school, especially our growing engagement of both Catholic ad non-Catholic students.
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Mentor students through advising, research, and internship opportunities.
- Actively participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Contribute to a campus culture committed to professionalism, collegiality, and confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- PH.D in theology or equivalent degree.
- Evidence of teaching excellence in higher education.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current resume, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
- The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, equipment, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
P079FNumber of Vacancies:
1Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic University in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian served more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Midwestern rankings to be names #6 Most Innovative Regional University, #15 Best Value University, and #30 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national championship varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, and the more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.Quick Link for Internal Postings:
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert