The Department of Communication at William Jewell College seeks applicants for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Digital Media Communication, beginning in Fall 2023, or possibly Spring 2023. The successful candidate will seek to grow the college’s digital media communication program, recruiting and advising students, working with external partners, participating in curriculum development and assessment, managing program resources, and leading a group of digital media instructors.
The successful candidate will teach a range of introductory and advanced courses such as Digital Media History and Theory, 2D Design, Web Design (UX), and Digital Photography. There will also be opportunities to teach special topics courses in our critical thinking-focused Core Curriculum.
Phi Beta Kappa members are encouraged to apply.
- MA or MFA in Communication, Journalism, Media, Graphic Design, Strategic Communication, Data Analytics, Data Science, Digital Arts, or a related field
- demonstrated success in teaching
- commitment to teaching in an undergraduate liberal arts setting, including in the College’s Core Curriculum
- ability to teach classes in one of the following areas: coding, graphic design, or web design
- expertise in Adobe Suite and design principles
- interest in developing and implementing curricula that address multicultural issues
- demonstrated success in working with diverse populations of students
- professional experience in digital media communication
- ability to teach classes in the areas of public relations, social media marketing, and/or journalism
- PhD in Communication, Journalism, Media, Graphic Design, Strategic Communication, Data Analytics, Data Science, Digital Arts, or a related field
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching up to 24 contact hours per year (i.e., three 4-credit courses per semester)
- Curriculum and assessment development
- Develop a program of scholarly activity
- Service to the College and community including academic advising and involvement in College and departmental committees and activities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Located in Liberty, MO, Jewell is situated 25 minutes from downtown Kansas City, MO and offers one of the most affordable metropolitan regions in the country. Our mission is: We educate our community to ask reflective questions, apply critical thought and act with purpose. The college is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. The College seeks to create a supportive community for the professional and personal growth of faculty, staff, and students.
The Department of Communication offers majors in Communication, Public Relations, and Digital Media Communication. We are seeking highly motivated candidates interested in collaborating in advancing the Digital Media Communication program.
Candidates must submit the following documents through the posting link:
- Letter of application that addresses the job qualifications, a response to the College mission, and a statement of how you would contribute to inclusivity and diversity on campus
- William Jewell Application
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of Teaching philosophy
- Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Portfolio of previous digital media projects
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. All final Candidates will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make accommodation requests in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 6406
Our Mission: We educate our community to ask reflective questions, apply critical thought and act with purpose.
We flourish by valuing: Authentic Engagement, Courageous Citizenship, Creative Expression, Inclusive Communities, Innovative Thought, and Spiritual Exploration
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.