28-Sep-2022 to Until Filled (EST) Fort Valley, GA, USA Full TimeEmail Me Similar JobsEmail Me This Job
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, is seeking candidates for the Police Lieutenant position in the Campus Police & Safety Department.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.JOB SUMMARY
This position is a Police Supervisor who will be responsible for managing sworn police, security officers, and communications officers. The Police Lieutenant is certified by the State of Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) council to handle all aspects of emergency and non-emergency calls. The Lieutenant provides an enterprise wide, cross-divisional approach to the management of facilities and assets in response to emergencies and risk management. MAJOR DUTIES
KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Conducts annual emergency prepared drills, classroom training.
- Monitors and keeps the Police Captain informed on all activities and incidents on campus.
- Inspects all patrol cars, security booths and role call.
- Conducts drills in all buildings every three months.
- Supervises all subordinate officers to ensure incident reports are completed.
- Supervises shifts when supervisor is out.
- Coordinates and assist in training for emergency preparedness and assist the residential hall mangers for training.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Knowledge of safety for all equipment.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Experience in tactical training
- Engagement Skills with public sector
- Experience in managing officers in shift work
- Computer skills
- Report writing skills
- Skilled in Arrest warrants and Search warrants
- Skilled in investigation and sexual assault cases.
- Knowledge of supervisory and leadership principles and practices.
- Ability to analyze data and make decisions.
- Ability to operate a radio, telephone, and related communications equipment.
- Ability to supervise and train.
- Ability to recognize and resolve organizational conflict.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Hear and understand conversation in a normal tone of voice. Use of senses to include sight, smell, hearing and touch.
- Maintain the ability to complete the job tasks of Lieutenant, Sergeant, or Police Officer.
- Work hours from 3 to 11pm or as needed by the Chief of Police.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table and intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects.
- The work is performed in an office, outside, in dorms, and buildings. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts.
- Operate motor vehicles, auto, truck or van.
This position supervises departmental personnel at assigned university events. Plans, organizes, directs, and controls the efforts of squads, sections, or units within their assigned department.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Associates degree or equivalent experience.
- General Instructor or the ability to obtain a General Instructor Certification from Georgia P.O.S.T.
- More than three years of related supervisory experience required.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
- Georgia P.O.S.T certified
Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com