Assistant Professor of Chemistry (Biochemistry)Position Number:
Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences-Natural ScienceOffice:
ChemistryFull-Time or Part-Time:
Candidates with a background in any area of biochemistry (broadly defined) will be considered. Candidates with backgrounds in pharmacology, toxicology or other areas that can complement our Forensic Science program are also encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will be able to teach biochemistry lecture and lab course and will have the opportunity to teach other courses in their area of expertise. A typical teaching load alternates between 2 and 3 courses per semester. The Chemistry Department serves only undergraduate students, with small class sizes (10-15) for junior and senior majors. Successful candidates will demonstrate the potential to establish a vibrant research program centered on undergraduates and seek grant funding. Intra- and extramural research collaborations are strongly encouraged. Experience advising and mentoring individuals from groups underrepresented in STEM fields is highly desirable. The Chemistry Department offers undergraduate degrees in Biochemistry and Chemistry (with ACS accreditation), as well as Forensic Science. This position offers a competitive salary; excellent benefits; significant research and sabbatical support; and professional development.Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body. We especially encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.Qualifications:
QUALIFICATIONS:● A Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry or closely related field is required by time of employment.● Successful candidates will have demonstrated a commitment to promoting equity, diversity and inclusion in an educational environment.APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:Review of applications will begin October 28, 2022; other applications will be considered until the position is filled.For consideration, please upload in addition to the application:
- a cover letter outlining your qualifications and why you are interested in this position,
- a current curriculum vitae,
- a statement of teaching philosophy which includes your goals, ideas about pedagogical approaches, reflections on teaching or mentoring experience for undergraduate students,
- a detailed description of research plans that specifically addresses undergraduate student involvement and potential funding opportunities,
- a statement on how you will contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) within the department, describing your plan to address DEI in your teaching, mentorship, and service,
- unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts.
Arrange for three letters of recommendation, at least one of which should speak to your teaching abilities in a classroom and/or laboratory setting.Questions about the position, department or university may be emailed to [email protected]Deadline:
Open until filledEEO Statement:
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.