Medical Research ScientistPosition Number :
500298Vacancy Open to :
All Candidates Department :
EHH BSOM Biochem and MolecularDepartment Homepage :
https://biochemistry-molecularbiology.ecu.edu/Advertising Department :
BIOCHEMISTRY&MOLECULAR BIOLOGYDivision :
Academic AffairsClassification Title :
Research AssociateWorking Title :
Medical Research ScientistNumber of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.0Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
$50,000-$60,000Position Location (City) :
Non-FacultyJob Category :
Non-Faculty Instructional & ResearchOrganizational Unit Overview:
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology consists of 13 full-time faculty members that includes some fixed term faculty and one school administrator, 9 full-time Research Specialists, two full-time office Administrators and fourteen graduate students. The department teaches Biochemistry to medical and dental students and provides instruction in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology to graduate students from multiple departments. A wide variety of specialized courses for graduate students are also taught. The educational objective of the department is to provide a sound basic foundation for students from various disciplines. The graduate program through the Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences with a Concentration in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is broadly based to prepare students for careers in academics, research, government, industry and medicine.Job Duties :
In addition to their teaching duties, each of the faculty members has a research laboratory and is expected to perform research in his/her area of expertise. Faculty are expected to apply for grant support and to publish results of their research in professional journals.
The Medical Research Scientist is critical to the successful laboratory and research operations of the Mass Spectrometry Core Facilities. This position will be fully research focused and will provide grant-funded research services to internal and external investigators. The duties of the Medical Research Scientist include the following:Minimum Education/Experience :
· Managing and actively participating in multiple, simultaneous research projects for multiple laboratories needing all aspects of proteomic, lipidomic, metabolomics, and quantitative mass spectrometry analysis (e.g. sample preparation, data acquisition and data analysis).
· Tracking samples throughout the intake, processing, analytical and post-analytical processes, including maintaining previously analyzed samples in case additional analyses are necessary or desired.
· Collecting and analyzing data derived from the analysis of biological or pharmaceutical samples using sophisticated mass spectrometry instrumentation.
· Advising investigators on the proper instrumentation and mass spectrometry techniques to use for various analyses offered.
· Providing sample preparation services for investigators, including the development of new sample protocols and executing established protocols.
· Maintaining all laboratory instrumentation and performing and recording quality control checks on all instrumentation.
· Overseeing and coordinating all laboratory activities, including training graduate students on equipment and methods used in the laboratory.
· Ensuring laboratory records are adequately maintained and established research protocols are followed.
· Ensuring inventory and maintenance of all laboratory equipment, genetic material and materials associated with on-going and former projects.
· Developing, implementing, and maintenance of laboratory safety plans.
· Assisting the Core director in reviewing physical requirements for equipment and assigning department laboratory space.
· Assisting the Core Director with the preparation of price quotes for services.
· Communicating Core-related information, including price schedules, to both internal and external customers.
· Maintaining billing and usage records of sample cohorts and their progress throughout the analytical process according to Core rate schedules.
· Assisting the Core Director with the development of intramural and extramural funding proposals for new instrumentation.
· Assist Core Director with the annual University Core Facility renewal process including the development of service fee schedules.
Master’s degree in life science, physical science, or medical science related field with at least 3 years of relevant mass spectrometry or equivalent research experience.License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
N/APreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education :
Experience with daily operations of a university research service center is desired.Special Instructions to Applicant :
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Candidates must also submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.Additional Instructions to Applicant:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
09/28/2022Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
10/12/2022Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.Eligibility for Employment :
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department of Human Resources at (252) 737-1018 (Voice/TTY) or [email protected].
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to [email protected] Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.