Faculty/Academic StaffMajor Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social ScienceDepartment:
Human Development & Family Studies - Css 10038324Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad StaffSalary:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceLocation:
Education/Training, Health Care Professional, Advising/Counseling, Tenure System Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
Michigan State University actively promotes a dynamic research and learning environment in which qualified individuals of differing perspectives, and cultural backgrounds pursue academic goals with mutual respect and shared inquiry. Situated within the College of Social Science, the Department of Human Development and Family Studies is known for excellence in prevention and intervention science, research to address mental health disparities, and community-engaged scholarship.
The Couple and Family Therapy Doctoral Program was first established in 1985 and is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education. We seek a scholar whose program of research focuses on improving access, quality, or delivery of couple and/or family interventions with the potential to reduce mental health disparities. This individual would join an existing faculty with a strong history of engaging in collaborative, federally-funded clinical research that aims to improve the lives of couples and families from diverse social locations. Ideally this scholar would bring expertise that will complement and enhance our existing strengths related to empirically supported interventions, community-engaged research, and underserved and minoritized populations. We welcome applicants with a research focus relevant to the broad field of clinical research, including prevention, treatment, dissemination, implementation, and/or process research.
A successful candidate will evidence a strong publication trajectory and demonstrate potential to secure extramural funding to support their program of research. Ideally the candidate will have a record of peer-reviewed publications relevant to clinical research. In addition to sustaining an active program of scholarship, this faculty will be responsible for teaching and mentoring graduate/undergraduate students, providing clinical supervision, and participating in department, college, and university governance activities. We are particularly interested in candidates who can provide evidence of their commitment to promoting diversity through their research, teaching, mentoring, and service.
This is a 9-month tenure-system position beginning August 16, 2023. Salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Michigan State University offers an excellent selection of benefits; please see www.hr.msu.edu for more information.
- Develop and sustain an active program of research as evidenced by high quality peer-reviewed publications and extramural funding
- Teach and mentor diverse graduate/undergraduate students
- Provide clinical supervision to couple and family therapy doctoral students
- Participate in department, college, and university governance
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Couple and Family Therapy or a closely related field
- Ph.D. in Couple and Family Therapy or a closely related field completed by the start date
- Record of peer-reviewed publications
- Potential to establish an extramurally-funded program of research
- Expressed interest in research to reduce mental health disparities
- License-eligible as a Marriage and Family Therapist in Michigan and/or demonstrated commitment to obtaining LMFT licensure in Michigan
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Approved Supervisor or Candidate and/or demonstrated commitment to obtaining these credentials
- Record of peer-reviewed publications focused on the reduction of mental health disparities
- Expertise in clinical research or closely related area
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through research, teaching, and service
- Ability to engage in collaborative, federally-funded clinical research
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter, which includes a description of how your program of research can be applied to reduce mental health disparities
- Curriculum vitae
- Research statement
- Teaching statement
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion statement, which should address how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance MSU’s commitment to inclusive excellence
- Complete contact information of 3 references
Together-we-will StatementThe university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on December 1, 2022; applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified. Inquiries about the position can be directed to the search committee chairs, Dr. Kendal Holtrop ([email protected]) and Dr. Andrea Wittenborn ([email protected]).
Interested applicants must apply for this position via the Michigan State University Applicant Page (MAP). Please access the MAP system at https://careers.msu.edu. Posting 817655: Assistant Professor-Tenure System in Human Development & Family Studies - CSS.
Review of Applications Begins On
The Department of Human Development and Family Studies is a premier academic program, known nationally for excellence in applied, translational research that is positively impacting children, adolescents, families and marginalized communities. Our department purpose is articulated through research productivity, innovative teaching, outreach effectiveness, policy leadership, and the high-quality preparation of future scholars and leaders.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through diversity.
The position will be based at Michigan State University in East Lansing, MI, USA. Michigan State University (MSU) is ranked among the top 100 research universities in the world and is home to top-ranked academic programs, research centers, and service-learning programs. MSU has a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative community of scientists and scholars who are leaders in basic and applied research and excellence in teaching. MSU enjoys a park‐like campus located in the city of East Lansing. The university is adjacent to the state capital and surrounded by award-winning school districts, with easy access to Detroit, Chicago, and Lake Michigan. The greater Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of more than 500,000 residents.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Sep 28, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 28, 2024 Eastern Daylight Time