Technical Tutorial Assistant, TLC (Math)
POSITION TITLE: TECHNICAL TUTORIAL ASSISTANT
STATUS: Part-time, may be grant funded
DEPARTMENT: Tutoring and Learning Center
DIVISION: Student Development
UNION: Support and Technical
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Tutoring and Learning Center
PLACEMENT: Support staff, grade 5
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $16.51 per hour
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Provides technical tutorial assistance for Career and Technical courses, and Workforce Services. Exercises a high level of discretion; provides professional, effective, and efficient customer service assistance to students, faculty, and college personnel. Provides timely updates to the Department Supervisor and his/her Director to keep them informed about tutoring needs, concerns, student-related issues, and the like. Considerable judgment and initiative in adapting work procedures to new situations are required. Tutoring hours are assessed each month and will be adjusted to accommodate TLC needs.
COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN & DRAFTING, ELECTRICAL/ ELECTRONIC AUTOMATED SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY, HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY, VETERINARY MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY, and other subjects as determined by budgetary allocations and student demand.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Professionally represent Joliet Junior College and uphold the College’s core values.
2. Tutor students in all levels of subject area and/or related courses, using both individual and small group tutoring sessions.
3. Provide exceptional customer service to all visitors including students, faculty, and staff. Provide general assistance to students with disabilities as needed.
4. Answer inquiries and provide information and referrals.
5. Maintain accurate and timely records of tutoring activities through scheduling software (i.e. Academic Success Tracker).
6. Conduct test review sessions, as well as Academic Skills Workshops in accordance with CRLA certification requirements.
7. Create, select, and develop instructional support materials that recognize and address individual student needs.
8. Meet with instructors to provide assistance that meets individual student needs.
9. Promote tutoring services through the distribution of flyers and schedules during class visitations and meetings with instructors as needed.
10. Participate in staff meetings, in-services, and trainings as may be required. Participate in departmental and collegiate goals and objectives. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Associate’s degree or Certificate of Achievement in subject to be tutored and/or related area. Appropriate state licensing.
2. Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering support at the post-secondary instructional level. 3. Ability to work with minimum supervision and to handle sensitive information with professionalism, discretion, and impartiality.
4. Patience, problem solving abilities, and a willingness to accept responsibility.
5. Strong verbal and written communication skills, and ability and willingness to work cooperatively with a diverse population.
6. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
7. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation, and quality.
1. Bachelor’s degree in subject to be tutored and/or related area Tutoring experience in a community college environment.
2. Experience in adult education.
3. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
4. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. Normal office physical demands.
2. Ability to travel between campus locations and to community events.
1. Duties are performed indoors in the usual office, school, or lab environment.
1. Schedule varies depending on department needs.
2. Willingness to travel to all JCC campus locations.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):