Assistant Athletic Director for Business Operations - 502364
The Assistant Athletic Director for Business Operations is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Department of Athletics business office to include payments, budget management and reporting, select human resource functions, and athletic camps.
Manages the financial functions of Athletics Business Office.
- Executes department budget strategy in collaboration with the Associate Athletic Director for Business Operations and the Deputy Athletic Director/Chief of Staff.
- Monitors multimillion dollar departmental budgets (including team and administrative units, scholarships, and labor) and develops custom budget reports and projections for managers and head coaches to support analysis and decision-making.
- Contributes to the development of external financial reports as required by the NCAA, A10, and U.S. Department of Education.
- Reviews and approves all requests for payment and ensures proper accounting and adherence to university and department policies.
- Administers and monitors the execution and payment of contracts not related to travel or employment agreements.
- Reviews, analyzes and creates processes to enhance efficiency and solve existing and emergent department needs.
- Contributes to the annual budget formulation and execution.
- Assist with travel coordination and provide oversight on travel budget for Spider athletic teams.
- Develops/facilitates trainings and educates staff members on relevant University and department policies and procedures as well as adherence to applicable laws.
Oversees administration of athletic camps.
- Serves as departmental liaison to all entities that interact with or play a role in the administration and execution of athletic camps, both internally within Athletics and across campus.
- Works with Accounts Payable, Human Resources, and Student Employment to oversee the onboarding and payment of camp personnel.
- Tracks camp insurance information and partners with Risk Management on issues.
- Generates camp financial settlements and processes disbursements.
Manages designated human resource functions.
- Designs and conducts on-boarding programs for new employees.
- Coordinates the talent acquisition process by facilitating workflows for posting and hiring, developing interview itineraries and organizing candidate travel.
- Educates staff on annual performance review process and ensures participation by entire department.
- Manages position descriptions, including updating as required through changes in department responsibilities.
Serves as the Athletic Department liaison to Student Employment.
- Coordinates the hiring process with managers.
- Educates supervisors on policies and procedures related to student employees.
- Manages student employment budgets.
Monitors documents and processes that fall within scope of responsibility and brings any potential issue to the attention of the Athletic Compliance Office.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work independently, efficiently, and with flexibility in an organized manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, build rapport with people, and work well as part of a diverse operational team
- Ability to accurately manage and prepare financial and accounting records, such as budget reports and purchasing card statements
- Ability to plan, implement, and evaluate departmental initiatives such as the student employment and departmental budget request processes
- Ability to read and analyze data in various forms.
- Ability to develop data visualizations (e.g. graphs, charts) as a means of succinctly communicating complex information and data
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated ability to manage confidential information responsibly and professionally.
- Working knowledge of Box, Bannerweb, and Microsoft Office and PowerPoint, or equivalent
- Exceptional analytical and organization skills.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- High standards for accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
- Adherence to all applicable NCAA, conference, and institutional rules and regulations is required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience and training is required.
- 3-5 years of experience in higher education is preferred with a strong preference for athletic administration-related experience.
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75 hrs./day; 38.75 hrs./week
Pay Grade 6 (Hiring Range $44,775.00 to $59,325.00 annually)
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment.
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There’s only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE