Sweet Briar is a liberal arts college for women with a long history of forging female leaders. After a near closure in 2015, the College was saved by its alumnae and underwent dramatic transformation. Today Sweet Briar College is repeatedly named by the US News and World Report as one of the most innovative liberal arts colleges in the nation. Sweet Briar College is financially stable and actively growing again, attracting students who are drawn to it for its excellent liberal arts program, coupled with distinctive programs in women leadership, engineering, sustainability, arts and its legendary equestrian program.
Located in the foothills of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains approximately 12 miles north of Lynchburg and 54 miles south of Charlottesville. Its campus is one of the nations most spectacular, replete with nature sanctuaries, lakes, forests, trails, and most recently, vineyards, apiary and greenhouses.
The College boasts a modern core curriculum focused on women's leadership in the 21st century and undergraduate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities, as well as a Master of Arts in Teaching. It is one of only two women's colleges in the United States with an ABET-accredited engineering degree. The women's leadership core curriculum is innovative and energizing. When students graduate, they are persuasive communicators who know how to think on their feet and bring people together. No matter what they study or where they go, Sweet Briar women are prepared to lead. The campus community is a family of faculty, staff, coaches, and alumnae who support and encourage students and each other. With an average class size of eight students per faculty, students lead research, ask questions and forge supportive relationships with faculty that can last for decades.
Job Title: Director of Digital Marketing
Reports To: President
The Director of Digital Marketing is a new role that will manage cohesive digital marketing campaigns to promote Sweet Briar College’s liberal arts education and Leadership Core curriculum. The primary focus will be to support the College’s enrollment objectives by designing, implementing, and evaluating content, digital assets, multi-channel media, and budget performance.
The successful candidate will have proven management skills and experience in integrated marketing communications; outcome-based lead generation campaigns; marketing automation; compelling storytelling; and benchmarking and analyzing data for informed decision making. The Director should also embrace Sweet Briar’s unique place in the higher education landscape and be inspired by the mission to recruit, educate, and prepare the next generation of women leaders.
- Must coordinate multiple internal and agency or freelance partners and effectively communicate marketing strategies that inspire results;
- Design, implement, and measure advertising and digital marketing campaigns that result in prospective student inquiries and applications;
- Website and social media management, championing best practices in digital marketing and consumer technology trends to reach and engage both new and existing audiences and develop new channels when appropriate;
- Identify appropriate metrics to analyze that supports strategic decision making regarding the College’s digital marketing approach;
- Collaborate across the College to solicit high-quality content from faculty, staff, and students so as to connect the College’s programs and activities with priority audiences;
- Manage a small marketing and communications team
- Manage, plan, and optimize the budget.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, advertising, English, or communications;
- Five to 7 years of applicable experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Thorough understanding of social media platforms and digital marketing best practices and trends for higher education;
- Experience planning, coordinating, and directing digital and print marketing, content strategy, and social media communities;
- Proven ability to plan and manage budgets;
- Proficiency with various content management systems and design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite products;
- Excellent leadership, communication, and decision-making skills;
- Analytical and creative thinking skills with an ability to respond quickly to changing circumstances;
- Strong project and time management skills, attention to detail, and a reputation for responsiveness.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Experience with Slate or other CRM.;
- Experience in higher education marketing.;
- 7-10 years of relevant experience.
Deadline for Submission: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To Apply: Submit your application along with a cover letter and resume.
Sweet Briar College is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to enhancing our community and encourage applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.