Workforce Skilled Instructor, Emergency Management
- Lone Star College
- LSC-North Harris
- Faculty Jobs
- Professional Fields, Business & Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
Location: LSC-North Harris
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 37816
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Qualities of Excellence
As faculty members of Lone Star College, we strive to create a nation of world citizenry in our students. In that pursuit, we model ways of thinking and being that incorporate diversity, equality, and equity. Our culture, then, requires the possession of transcendent qualities that, while immeasurable, are evident in global citizens. We are compassionate with our students, colleagues, and ourselves. We are innovative in the pursuit of learning. Ultimately, we create a culture where learning thrives, people are safe, and we mirror the qualities of world citizenry.
Lone Star College faculty are dedicated to four qualities of excellence:
- Student Invested
- Content Expert
- Pedagogically Excellent
- Institutionally Dedicated
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.Location address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, TX 77073.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:It is the responsibility of the WSI Instructors to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the department, college, and the community. The Instructor member's role encompasses the general areas of learning facilitation and, when not instructing, may include taking part in curriculum development, development and growth of the department, professional development, and institutional service. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teaches courses in Emergency Management courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs, including day, evening, weekend and off-campus classes, as needed
- Makes continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods
- Develops and uses a syllabus for each course or laboratory within college and departmental guidelines
- Plans, develops and uses a variety of teaching methods and materials that assist students in meeting course objectives and which are appropriate for students with differing educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles
- Evaluates students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course objectives and informs them in a timely manner of their progress in the course
- Submits required college reports and forms
- Reviews, evaluates, and recommends student learning materials
- Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues and the community
- Provides access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication and other appropriate methods
- When not instructing, position may be responsible for curriculum development, development of the department, professional development, and institutional service as determined by department leadership
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Mastery of course content
- Ability to follow proper safety standards
- Demonstrated leadership skills; style that emphasizes collaboration, teamwork, and facilitation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to diversity; ability to appreciate alternative viewpoints; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service and providing a dynamic climate for life-long learning
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement instructional approaches such as service learning/civic engagement, learning communities, and the effective use of technology
- Ability to use effective strategies to engage students in their learning
- Position requires frequent lifting of equipment – may include above the head; ability to lift and carry 100 pounds;
- Position requires frequent standing for long periods of time;
- Physical abilities to carry out duties as an EMS professional including:
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards, as well as in lab environments with exposure to safety hazards typical with that in the EMS industry. Safety precautions must be observed at all times
- Associate degree in public administration, emergency management, homeland security or related discipline and 3 years nonteaching work experience in the field
Commensurate with education, experience and qualifications.
Your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, wellness programs, professional development opportunities, sabbatical opportunities and more.Special Instructions Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts. You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Working at Lone Star College
Lone Star College continues to be a leader in higher education while experiencing unpreceded growth. Lone Star College is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area and one of the fastest-growing community colleges in the nation and is always seeking qualified and dedicated people to join our team. Our employees take advantage of state of the art learning and technology centers that focus on student success. It’s no wonder LSC continues to be recognized as a Top 10 degree producer by Community College Week.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Lone Star College. We’re redefining the community college experience for our students, and our community. LSC created the Honors College for high achieving students in 2013 to push beyond just offering a limited number of honors courses. The Center for Civic Engagement launched in 2015 to increase student civic responsibility and help make our community a better place to live. We continue to expand and refine our workforce education and career training programs in partnership with regional and global employers and a rigorous alignment to their needs. LSC leads statewide reverse transfer, student success and pathway projects to increase student completion rates and improve learning outcomes.
And we’re increasing our international focus to support the increasingly global nature of our workforce.
At Lone Star College, tomorrow starts today. LSC is building the community college of tomorrow by taking action today.
Visit www.LoneStar.edu to learn more about how LSC is changing the way people think about community colleges.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert