Head Coach - Men's and Women's Cross Country/Track and Field, Instructor in Physical EducationFull Time/Part Time:
Responsible for strategic leadership of all activities and outcomes within the men’s and women’s cross country and track & field programs. These will include sustained performance and execution in the following areas:
- athletic instruction
- student-athlete development
- student-athlete welfare
- competition preparation
- team management
- scheduling conference and nonconference competitions
- roster management
- competitive outcomes
- responsible for hiring and oversight of assistant coaches
Responsible for recruitment and management of student-athletes to include sustained performance in the following areas:
- attracting and evaluating the best fit prospective student-athletes
- strategic allocation of scholarship and admission resources, if applicable
- ensuring student-athlete academic progress and well-being
- ensuring student-athletes adhere to institutional policies and code of conduct
Accountable for creating a culture of compliance within the programs to all relevant governing bodies including:
- specific conference
- athletic department
- university policies
Responsible for budget development and management.
Effectively support and contribute to athletics fundraising efforts
Responsible for the effective supervision of staff as assigned.
- Ensures selection and hiring of high-performing employees;
- Ensures appropriate distribution of work assignments and high-quality employee work product;
- Ensures fair and accurate performance assessments and feedback to include identifying areas for professional development and documenting and conducting disciplinary measures, as needed.
- Responsible for providing fair and accurate input to supervisor regarding employment status (hire, promotion, salary increases, termination);
- Ensures the creation of effective opportunities and programs for employee mentoring, development, and sustained performance.
Ensures positive relationships and communication between the program and key stakeholders, including alumni, local community, fans, parents, faculty, and other University constituents. As directed, required to effectively support athletics fundraising efforts.
Responsible for role modeling positive behaviors and leadership for student-athletes
Colgate Athletics Mission:
To be an inclusive community of competitive excellence
Athletics Department Values:
Thoughtful – Careful, reasoned, inclusive thinking
Driven – Relentless, energetic, focused pursuit of courageous goal
Enthusiastic – Passionate, positive, fun presence
Cohesive – Close—knit, collaborative, consistent teamwork
Bold – Creative, resourceful, fearless winners
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.Department:
Track & FieldDivision:
Demonstrated ability to select, develop and retain high-performing work teams, including:
- Demonstrated skill in the development of employee skills, performance, and behaviors.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coach and communicate with employees on issues of pay, performance, and development.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently identify, hire and retain high-performing employees.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and evaluate prospective student-athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to attract student-athletes to the University.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate, plan, build and sustain team composition.
Student-Athlete Development and ManagementDescription:
- Demonstrated ability to consistently improve individual student-athlete performance.
- Demonstrated ability to develop student-athletes within the team/program.
Knowledge of SportDescription:
- Demonstrated expertise within a specific sport sufficient to properly prepare and execute sport strategy, including effective practice planning, team preparation, competitive strategy and in-game management.
- Proven track record of an ability to comply with NCAA, conference, and institutional regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive and effective relationships with key stakeholders, including alumni, local community, fans, parents, faculty, and other University constituents.
Budget and FinanceDescription:
- Ability to produce and manage within a defined budget
Personal Accountability for ResultsDescription:
- Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes;
- Behaves responsibly with a positive attitude;
- Shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills;
- Shares information and seeks input from others;
- Adapts communication to diverse audiences;
- Protects private and confidential information.
Problem Solving and Decision MakingDescription:
- Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems;
- Generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality;
- Involves others in solving problems and making decisions;
- Factors organizational goals into decisions;
- Makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.
- Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance;
- Understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to the departmental area;
- Adapts to new methodologies;
- Identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.
Leadership and TeamworkDescription:
- Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success;
- Balances individual and department goals;
- Helps others perform at their best;
- Builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness;
- Treats others with respect;
- Resolves conflicts among team members.
Creativity and InnovationDescription:
- Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level;
- Critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.
Diversity and InclusionDescription:
- Demonstrates respect for people and their differences;
- Understands the benefits of a diverse workforce;
- Earns the trust and respect of others;
- Includes and welcomes others;
- Works to understand the perspective of others;
- Promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.
Professional Experience/ Qualifications:
- Understands the impact of decision-making and personal behavior in achieving the university’s commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus;
- Supports and advances the university’s sustainability initiatives;
- Influences others to use sustainable practices.
Demonstrated success in coaching men’s and women’s track and field student-athletesPreferred Qualifications:
Seven (7) or more years of collegiate coaching experience
Ten (10) or more years of Division I collegiate coaching experienceEducation:
Experience recruiting and retaining student-athletes at academically competitive institutions
Demonstrated success in building and developing a successful coaching staff
Bachelor’s Degree requiredCertifications:
Master’s Degree preferred
A current valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.EEO Statement:
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act:
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS Other Information:
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. The failure to do so can be grounds for your termination with cause.Department Statement:
Colgate Athletics seeks to be a welcoming and diverse association of students, coaches, staff, alumni and fans in which all people are treated equitably and respectfully, and can contribute fully to our success; we share common goals, we affirm open communication and civility, we honor the sacredness of each person, we accept responsibility to act for the common good, we care for and serve one another, and we honor our history while celebrating our evolution; and, we strive to consistently perform at the upper range of our potential, to get better every day with a goal to win – to win in competition, in the classroom, in the community and in the lives of every member of the Colgate Community.Requisition Number:
NoJob Open Date:
09/28/2022Open Until Filled: