004065Position Classification Title:
Fac Maint Tech Bldg TradesmanFunctional Title:
Facility Maint Tech BldgPosition Type:
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
Housing and Residence Life provides safe, inclusive, and secure residential communities where a diverse and innovative team of professionals encourage students to pursue academic excellence, personal growth, civic leadership, and responsibility. Efficient and effective programs and services are provided by competently trained and reliable departmental teams in affordable, clean, comfortable, and sound facilities equipped with current technologies. Our diverse residence hall environments promote learning and personal growth through programs that enable students to acknowledge and appreciate diversity through open dialogue, establish a personal sense of interdependence, and prepare them for responsible service as members of the global community. UNCG Housing and Residence Life is committed to following sustainable principals and is rated a Green Office at the 3.0 level.Position Summary:
Under general supervision, this position performs a variety of semi-skilled manual tasks and duties in support of general building facilities maintenance. This position is required to perform basic maintenance; using power and hand tools to troubleshoot, repair, replace parts, components, and/or systems within building facilities. This position is required to perform various semi-skilled duties including but not limited to such trades as carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.Minimum Qualifications:
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY; OR DEMONSTRATED POSSESSION OF THE COMPETENCIES NECESSARY TO PERFORM THE WORK. OPTIONAL GUIDELINES: EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE AREAS RELATED TO THE AREA OF ASSIGNMENT MAY BE SUBSTITUTED ON A YEAR-FOR-YEAR BASIS.Additional Required Certifications, Licensures, and Certificates:
Must have a valid NC Driver’s License.Alternate Option:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants are required to upload a list of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name,
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic, or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
$35,509 – $37,652Org #-Department:
Housing and Residence Life - 44502Work Hours of Position:
Monday - Friday 7:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.Number of Months per Year:
Operations and Skilled TradesCareer Banded Title:
Fac Maint Tech Bldg TradesmanOpen Date:
Provide a safe, secure and comfortable living environment.Essential Tasks:
- Demonstrates an understanding of applicable policies and procedures and maintains conditions that ensure a healthy and safe working environment.
- Accomplishes tasks and processes accurately and completely.
- Position may be required to possess and maintain required certification, licensure, educational level, and/or experience criteria as applicable to the tasks being performed and follow applicable building codes.
- Must exhibit proper safety practices and constructively participates in shop safety programs. Knowledge or proper and safe use of maintenance equipment, chemicals, tools, etc.
- Maintains a functional awareness of the typical hazards of the workplace as well as follows established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards.
Must demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively with co-workers and other departments on campus.Essential Tasks:
- Establishes and maintains a positive view and cooperative working relationship with all members of campus community.
- Effectively performs in a service environment.
- Observe and report, through work order system, and all correspondence related to the requests and/or work order, and all defects, deterioration, and wear and tear on the facilities.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Assist as required and cooperate with all staff, faculty, tradespeople and custodians in the performance of day to day duties and responsibilities.
- Identifies problems, determines possible solutions, and actively works to resolve the issues. Accomplishes tasks and processes accurately and completely.
- Clearly and concisely conveys written information and orally or in writing to individuals or groups to ensure that they understand the information and the message.
- Listens and responds appropriately to others.
Plan, organize, control, and direct all aspects of required corrective and preventative maintenance for all campus housing.Essential Tasks:
- Perform semi-skilled labor in trades such as carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, etc.
- Skills to operate, repair and maintain various power and hand tools, maintenance equipment, etc. Ability to effectively work individually or in teams as well as diverse groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing or electronically.
- Ability to work effectively in a service-oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
- Problem-solving skills and sound judgement.
- Ability to understand and apply university and departmental policies and procedures.
Provide customer services to students and staff.Essential Tasks:
- This position is required to respond to plumbing and all other facilities requests as needed; a working knowledge of general building facilities systems is required including but not limited to (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, mechanical and carpentry).
- Occasional overtime is required based on the department needs.
- This position is required to be in the on-call rotation (after normal hours) as specified by the schedule.
- Occasional overtime is required based on the department needs, during the summer months (May – Aug) is typically the busiest schedule that requires overtime to prepare buildings for occupancy.
Coordination - WorkCompetency Description:
- Determines project/assignment by breaking them down into tasks.
- Sets objectives and prioritizes activities and tasks, adjusts priorities when appropriate.
- Takes advantage of available resources (personnel, processes, departments, and tools) to complete work efficiently.
- Anticipates obstacles/roadblocks and prepares alternative plans to ensure timely task accomplishment.
- Uses time effectively and does not let distractions interfere with completion of the job/project.
Problem SolvingCompetency Description:
- Identifies facilities-related maintenance problems that require in-depth analysis, and identifies options for solving those problems.
- Solve unusual facility maintenance problems that require the application of journey level trades knowledge and determines the most effective and efficient course of action.
- Gathers and analyzes/interprets information to better understand the nature of the problem.
- May seek input from subordinates, peers, and/or managers in the decision-making process in order to solve the problem.
- Evaluates options and chooses appropriate action by considering potential outcomes.
- Makes sure that problem is appropriately addressed.
Knowledge TechnicalCompetency Description:
- Performs a variety of recurring and non-recurring tasks/functions.
- These tasks/functions may involve related or varying processes to test, renovate, overhaul, replace, and perform preventive maintenance on standard building systems.
- Provides technical assistance to others by troubleshooting standard facilities maintenance issues and determining their cause.
- Mentors other technicians
Attention to DetailCompetency Description:
- Ensures all work meets and/or exceeds applicable codes and standards.
- Checks and re-checks work prior to, during, and after completion.
- Ensures that all parts of a project/task are completed.
- Uses appropriate record keeping methods.
Client/Customer ServicesCompetency Description:
- Identifies options, develops solutions, and takes action when responding to customer requests. Satisfies individual customer requests while balancing multiple priorities.
- Assesses or checks with customer to ensure solution meets request.
- Develops effective working relationships with internal/external customers (vendors, subcontractors, etc.) that further the work unit’s goals.
- Reviews customer requests and seeks clarification as needed.
- Clarifies the purpose and importance of directives, instructions, and messages; presents information in a clear and concise manner.
- Seeks input, listens, and checks for mutual understanding; asks for and provides clarification as needed.
- Explains purpose and procedures of facilities maintenance projects in language easily understood by the customer.
Safety and Health ComplianceCompetency Description:
- Identifies and resolves potential safety problems and unsafe work practices.
- Demonstrates to employees and others, safe ways to perform job tasks or the use of equipment. Informs supervisor of unusual safety concerns and makes recommendations for resolution. Determines appropriate protective equipment based on established standards.
- Regularly assesses site and shop operations for safety
Hand Movement-Repetitive Motions - F, Hand Movement-Grasping - F, Holding - O, Finger Dexterity - O, Vision-Skilled Trades - O, Reading - O, Writing - O, Eye-hand coordination - F, Vision-Color Distinction - F, Vision-Preparing/Analyzing figures - F, Vision-Visual inspection - F, Vision-Measuring/Assembling at distance close to eye - F, Hearing - F, Talking - F, Standing - F, Sitting - R, Walking - F, Lifting-0-30 lbs. - F, Lifting-30-60 lbs. - F, Lifting-60-90 lbs. - O, Lifting-90 plus lbs. - R, Pushing/Pulling - O, Climbing-Stairs - O, Climbing-Ladders - F, Bending - O, Squatting - O, Crawling - R, Reaching - OWork Environment:
Driving - Car/Truck - F, Driving - Standar/Automatic - F, Driving - Mower/Forklift - R, Location - Trees - R, Location - Air vent - R, Location - Roof - O, Equipment/Machines - Heights - O, Equipment/Machines - Roofs - O, Equipment/Machines - Ladders - O, Equipment/Machines - Step Stools - O, Equipment/Machines - Scaffolds - O, Night/Dark - R, Extreme noise levels - O, Extreme temperatures - O, Inside - F, Outside - F, Ventilation ConditionsDust - O, Ventilation ConditionsFumes - O, Ventilation ConditionsChemicals - O, Ventilation ConditionsGases - R, Exposure to potential Hazardous Conditions - O, Chemical Spills - R, Gas Leaks - R, Infectious Bacteria - R, Acidic Harsh or Oily Substances - R, Use of Respirator - O, Electrical Hazards - O, Overtime - O