The CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care at CSUSM (Institute) is an innovative, entrepreneurial education and workforce development initiative of the CSU system, serving the CSUSM campus and neighboring communities with programs, events and educational resources. The Institute works closely with CSUSM Extended Learning to serve its’ mission and goals. The primary focus of this position is to execute the direct sales strategy for the Institute. This CSUSM Corporation position will report through CSUSM Extended Learning (EL).
Under the direction of the Business Development Manager, the Relationship Manager I (RM I) will use consultative sales techniques to sell educational courses, events, products, and services to large organizations on local, state, and national levels for the Institute. The responsibility of this position is to generate high-volume opportunities and business relationships yielding short and long-term revenue for the Institute while creating satisfied, repeat users of the Institute’s products and services. Additional sales responsibilities may be assigned to support other areas of EL.
- Bachelor’s degree required in business, marketing, healthcare management or related field
- Master’s degree a plus Minimum of four (4) years of experience in relationship-based or consultative-sales, sale strategies that have led to demonstrably successful outcomes in high volume sales to large organizations
- Familiarity with education and/or healthcare marketing/sales desirable
- Experience with health care and/or palliative care preferred Ability to execute sales strategies that lead to new revenue and long-term relationships with large clients
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, engaging persona on the telephone, in written communications, and in person
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various written sales vehicles
- Effective in a close team environment
- Disciplined adherence to record-keeping/reporting requirements and other organizational sales procedures
- High energy self-starter with ability to turn strategy into results
- Tenacious ability to find a lead and follow it to a sale
- Research skills to follow trends in the market and identify new opportunities
- Willingness to travel several times a year to professional conferences for sales and/or professional development
- Knowledgeable and experienced in the use of:
- PC computer, Windows operating system, and/or Mac OS, copy and fax machines, LaserJet printers, scanner, multi-line telephone, smart phone
- Software – MS Office, Excel, Word, Internet, Outlook for email, cloud-based file management, InfusionSoft, Salesforce (or similar CRM)
Other Employment Requirements
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect
Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
This position is subject to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSUSM Corporation employees who apply for the position.
Must participate in CSUSM Corporation, CSU, and university-wide trainings as required.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Understand the healthcare industry and market, specifically related to palliative care
- Understand the Institute’s core products and services and the unique attributes of each program and/or course Identify organizations that will benefit from the Institute’s products and services
- Systematically contact organizations to develop long-term relationships
- Cultivate contacts and move up the chain to identify decision makers
- Present Institute products and services via phone, online, and/or in person as appropriate
- Create written agreements with organizations to purchase Institute products and services in bulk
- Work with the Institute (core and support) EL team members, and the Associate Dean to define and market custom programs as new opportunities arise
- Serve new clients to ensure their understanding and satisfaction regarding purchased programs Work closely with Marketing and Customer Advocate to follow up on qualified individual leads
- Create and effectively deploy consistent communications with targeted prospects
- Nurture current customers to inspire new sales Identify new customer and market needs and communicate this information to the appropriate parties
- Manage and track contacts and opportunities in the Institute’s customer relationship management application
- Attend trade shows and conferences as needed to represent the Institute, identify and follow up on leads
- Respond to website and phone inquiries in a timely fashion
- Form strong working relationships with Institute team members
- Work with Marketing and Client Relations to develop a sales and marketing plan, including:
- Sales goals
- Target audience definitions
- Sales and marketing tactics
- Forecasted results
- Lead scoring
- List management
- Measurables - The primary goal of this position is to create long-term relationships with major accounts resulting in consistent high-dollar revenue. The organizational budget and business plan are directly based on expectations that Relationship Managers will meet agreed-upon revenue goals. Regular one-on-ones with the Business Development Manager and team meetings will provide regular feedback and coaching for success. If measures are not met, supportive and corrective actions will be taken.
- Specific measures of success include:
- Revenue generated according to set goals and timetables
- Number of contacts made
- Frequency of contacts
- Client satisfaction
- Adherence to administrative and organizational requirements (e.g., CRM)
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will not supervise or have the authority to hire.
Latitude and Judgment
The RM I works closely with Marketing to ensure effective promotions and craft consistent messaging; with other key team members to follow leads and respond to customer inquiries/needs; with Educational Operations to ensure accurate and timely enrollment of participants under organizational contracts. In each working relationship, the RM I will have input into processes and campaigns as well as responsibility to follow organizational procedures and agreed-upon strategies.
The RM I will have the opportunity to craft, compose, and begin negotiating business opportunities within organizational policy and with final approvals from the Business Development Manager and Associate Dean of Extended Learning.
The work environment will include normal office conditions and daily use of a computer Visual Display Terminal (VDT) and telephone.
Normal work hours are 8:30AM to 5:00PM, although some flexibility may be possible with approval of the Business Development Manager and Associate Dean.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
"JEANNE CLERY ACT AND CAMPUS FIRE SAFETY RIGHT-TO-KNOW LAW" NOTIFICATION - See website located at http://www.csusm.edu/clery/.
Please apply by clicking "Apply" and be sure to submit a cover letter and resume. CSUSM Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, ancestry, and veteran or military status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.
For questions or if you experience any difficulties with the online application process, please contact CSUSM Corporation Human Resources at (760) 750-4700 or [email protected].