Working Position Title:
Office Administrator (3719) ExtendedClassification Title :
Office AdministratorPosition Number:
10/03/2022Business Unit Description:
Civil ServiceFull-Time/Part Time:
UnionUnion Code :
Administration & FinanceLocation:
121 NORMALLink to Department Website or Custom Search Page:
NIU ParkingOverview :
Parking Service’s is committed to supporting the University’s mission by providing parking patrons with a welcoming environment through:
- Pleasant and courteous customer service
- Guidance and assistance on all parking related needs
- Management and enforcement of parking rules predictably and fairly with an emphasis on voluntary compliance
- Safe and well-maintained parking facilities
The individual in this position performs essential duties related to the administration of the parking operation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Reports to and works under the general direction of the Coordinator of Parking and Traffic.
- Duties performed require knowledge of the organization, programs, policies and procedures of the parking program and institution.
- Independent decision making, along with the skills to set critical priorities, is essential in this position.
- Flexibility is critical when unexpected situations arise that need immediate resolution.
- Assists with other Campus Services areas as needed.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service) :
- Respects and maintains the sensitive and confidential nature of the department’s activities and files.
- Maintains excellent customer service relations and be able to apply general procedures to unusual situations.
- Responsible for working cash funds, departmental deposits, and university assets so that reasonable protection is provided to those assets at all times.
- Possesses a comprehensive understanding of Campus Parking Services’ policies, procedures, rules, and regulations, as well as those of the University.
- Engages in effective mediation, facilitation, negotiation, and de-escalation activities.
- Works under parameters established by significant policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Interacts with a variety of people everyday such as students, faculty, staff and visitors throughout the course of their daily activities. Must be able to effectively communicate.
- Enforcement of parking rules and regulations has the potential to create conflict and stress. Must be able to diffuse volatile situations and not allow stress to negatively influence good judgment.
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Any one of the following from the categories below:
- Four (4) years (48 months) of work experience comparable to the third level of this series.
- Two (2) years (24 months) of work experience comparable to the fourth level of this series.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service) :
- Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of administrative and administrative procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to enter data, or process information.
- Skill in material resources management through obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
- Skill in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Skill in decision making by considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and choosing the most appropriate one.
- Ability to understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Ability to provide guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Experience in financial analysis
- Procedure development experience
- Cash handling experience
- Research skills
- Report preparation using MS Office applications
- Parking operation experience
- Customer service oriented
Sitting for long periods of time.Percent of Staff Year:
1.00Standard Hours Per Week:
$30,225-$32,175Hourly or Semi-monthly Pay Rate/Range:
$15.50/hour - $16.50/hourEarn Type:
Additional Position Details:
Application Review Details:
- Click on Office Administrator for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click on Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Applicants must be a current citizen or resident of the State of Illinois to move forward in the hiring process.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected] Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address and phone numbers. The information that you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
Special Instructions :
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. A Credential Assessment is a rating by the Human Resources Office of an applicant’s/employee’s education, experience and special credentials/qualifications (licenses, etc.). In order to determine an appropriate rating for each examination, a review of a résumé, cover letter, university/agency official employment application, college transcript, copies of license/certification and any other relevant material may be required.
- Required documentation noted in the posting, such as a driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be uploaded with your application materials.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After assessment of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three (3) scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
Resume and two professional references.Quick Link to Applicant :
https://employment.niu.edu/postings/66277Is Background Check Required?:
YesEEO Statement Summary:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.Visa Policy:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at [email protected].Safety Information:
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.