Working Position Title:
Food Court/Snack Bar Supervisor (multiple positions) (1179)Classification Title :
Food Court/Snack Bar SupervisorPosition Number:
09/29/2022Business Unit Description:
Civil ServiceFull-Time/Part Time:
Non-UnionUnion Code :
Campus Dining ServiceCollege/Unit:
Campus Dining ServiceDivision:
HC DENLink to Department Website or Custom Search Page:
This position is for a Retail Dining Supervisor working for Campus Dining. We help feed students and keep them going.Position Summary:
9-month position (Aug 16-May 15); actual start and end dates may vary by academic yearEssential Duties and Responsibilities :
Employees at this level supervise and participate in the work of a group of employees engaged in a snack bar/sundry operation. They work under general supervision of the Food Service Manager for Retail and the Director of Retail Operations.
- Oversees and ensures food preparation and sanitary standards are maintained in food preparation and in the food prep, services areas, and Front of House areas.
- Assists with food preparation and serving of food and beverages as staffing and business dictates.
- Establishes and maintains simple account records, manages cash handling processes, and completes daily cash deposits.
- Assists with operating POS register as staffing and business dictates.
- Assists in planning, development, pricing, and rollout of new franchise directives (i.e. merchandising, menu items, etc.).
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates employees on assigned shift.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service) :
- Continually interacts with customers.
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICERPreferred Qualifications (Civil Service) :
1. One (1) year (12 months) of experience in fast-food procedures (such as gained as a Food Court/Snack Bar Attendant).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
2. Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
3. Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
4. Time Management — Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
5. Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
6. Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
7. Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
8. Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
9. Training and Teaching Others — Identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
10. Coaching and Developing Others — Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
11. Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
12. Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
13. Developing and Building Teams — Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
14. Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
15. Ability to maintain simple account records and forms.
16. Ability to make accurate and rapid calculations in the transfer of products and cash.
1. Two years of experience in food service.Physical demands/requirements:
2. Knowledge of use and operation of cleaning materials, methods and equipment.
3. Ability to read and write.
4. Ability to perform other related duties as assigned.
5. Ability to follow oral and written instructions and work independently.
6. Ability to apply common sense to carry out detailed instructions.
7. Good communication skills.
8. Good customer service skills.
9. Food Service Sanitation Certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and depth perception. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Percent of Staff Year:
0.75Standard Hours Per Week:
$33,150.00 per yearHourly or Semi-monthly Pay Rate/Range:
Additional Position Details:
Application Review Details:
- Click on Food Court Snack Bar Supervisor for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click on Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Applicants must be a current citizen or resident of the State of Illinois to move forward in the hiring process.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected] Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address and phone numbers. The information that you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
Special Instructions :
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION. At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE: If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact [email protected], with the subject line Food Court Snack Bar Supervisor 1179, by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting, such as a driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be uploaded with your application materials.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After assessment of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three (3) scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
Resume/CV requiredQuick Link to Applicant :
https://employment.niu.edu/postings/66683Is Background Check Required?:
YesEEO Statement Summary:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.Visa Policy:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at [email protected]du.Safety Information:
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.