Working Position Title:
Assistant Coach, Women's Softball (28733)Classification Title :
Coach, AssistantPosition Number:
10/03/2022Business Unit Description:
Non-UnionUnion Code :
Div Intercollegiate AthleticsLocation:
CC 204Link to Department Website or Custom Search Page:
Northern Illinois University (NIU) is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Coach of Women’s Softball. This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits. Under the general supervision of the Head Coach of Women’s Softball, this position will assist head coach in coaching student-athletes, implementation and instruction of game strategy, recruiting prospective student-athletes, monitoring student-athlete academic progress, program organization, managing travel, managing student-athlete scholarships and overseeing the discipline, conduct and image of the sport program and student-athletes of a major university sport program in conjunction with other departmental responsibilities as assigned.Position Summary:
This is a professional coaching position, and all of the duties of the position must be conducted in adherence with the policies, rules and regulations of affiliated national, regional and state intercollegiate athletic associations, the Mid-American conference (or subsequent member conference) and the university.Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
Minimum Required Qualifications (SPS) :
- Assist head coach in coaching student-athletes
- Implementation and instruction of game strategy
- Recruiting prospective student-athletes
- Monitoring student-athlete academic progress
- Program organization, managing travel, managing student-athlete scholarships
- Overseeing the discipline, conduct and image of the sport program and student-athletes of a major university sport program
- Other departmental responsibilities as assigned
Additional Requirements (SPS) :
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum one year teaching/coaching softball skills, game and training strategies plus teaching progressions.
- Demonstrated success in recruiting and retaining quality student-athletes, particularly at the regional level (Midwest) including knowledge of softball travel teams and high school programs.
Preferred Qualifications (SPS) :
- Ability to empower, communicate with and relate well to the female student-athlete.
- Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written, and electronic forms.
- Have a thorough knowledge of NCAA, conference and institutional rules and conduct the program within the regulations.
- As a staff member within the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulations, both those general in nature and those which apply directly to your position’s responsibilities. Strict adherence to all applicable governing policies, procedures, and regulations of the NCAA is required and is a condition of your employment.
- Master’s degree.
- Minimum three academic years coaching experience at the collegiate level.
- Successful competitive or coaching experience in softball at the Division I level.
- Former student-athlete at the collegiate level.
Days, nights and weekends.Anticipated Appointment Start Date:
Heavy lifting up to 50lbs.
As soon as possible after close datePercent of Staff Year:
1.00Standard Hours Per Week:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications; position includes a robust benefits package.Hourly or Semi-monthly Pay Rate/Range:
Applicants must visit https://employment.niu.edu/postings/66541 to create an application profile and upload their resume, cover Letter, and a list of three references by October 03, 2022.Quick Link to Applicant :
https://employment.niu.edu/postings/66541Is Background Check Required?:
YesEEO Statement Summary:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.Visa Policy:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at [email protected].Safety Information:
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.