Working Position Title:
Administration and Publicity Support Specialist - University Libraries (717)Classification Title :
Administrative AidePosition Number:
10/02/2022Business Unit Description:
Civil ServiceFull-Time/Part Time:
UnionUnion Code :
FO 428Link to Department Website or Custom Search Page:
Founded in 1895 as a normal school, Northern Illinois University is a Carnegie Foundation designated R2 (“High Research Activity”) doctoral-granting institution. With a diverse student body of approximately 16,000, Northern Illinois University’s 765-acre main campus in DeKalb is an eclectic mix of architecture and beautiful natural spaces located within 60 miles of the great city of Chicago. Find out more about NIU and the NIU Libraries by visiting https://www.niu.edu/index.shtml and https://library.niu.edu/ulib/ .Position Summary:
This position reports directly to the Dean of the University Libraries and provides administrative support for the University Libraries’ administrative office and outreach support for the University Libraries.Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
This position has the freedom to work independently and with self-initiative, to determine work methods and to set priorities for completion of tasks. The position works primarily in the University Libraries administrative offices, with the option to work remotely as appropriate to the needs of the office. The Associate Director for Administration is responsible for evaluating the position’s work with input from the Dean and Associate Deans. In addition to working closely with library administration, staff, faculty and student employees, this position will interact on a regular basis with Academic Affairs and Marketing Communication.Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service) :
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICERPhysical demands/requirements:
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Any one or any combination totaling five (5) years (60 months) from the following categories
(a) college course work in business, finance, accounting or a related field:
• 60 semester hours or an Associate’s degree equals one (1) year (12 months)
• 90 semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
• 120 semester hours or a Bachelor’s degree equals three (3) years (36 months)
• Master’s degree or higher equals four (4) years (48 months)
(b) progressively more responsible general or specialized office experience which included aspects of supervising staff or job function, organizing, and performing duties that lead to knowledge of generally accepted office principles
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
2. Computer Skills — Using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to set up functions, enter data, or process information
• Accounting, Calendar/Scheduling, Database, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Word Processing, Spreadsheet softwar
3. Performing Administrative Activities — Performing day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and processing paperwork
4. Obtaining Information — Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant source
5. Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
6. Communicating with Persons Outside Organization — Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail
7. Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
8. Documenting/Recording Information — Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic for
9. Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events — Identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances
10. Written and Oral Comprehension — The ability to read and listen/understand information and ideas presented in writing or ora
11. Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas verbally so others will understa
12. Written Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
Percent of Staff Year:
- Able to sit for extended amount of time.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
1.00Standard Hours Per Week:
$40,000/year - $42,500/yearHourly or Semi-monthly Pay Rate/Range:
$20.51/hour - $23.69/hourEarn Type:
Additional Position Details:
Application Review Details:
- Click on Administrative Aide for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click on Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Out-of-state candidates must establish Illinois residency within 180 calendar days after start date.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position; however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this position. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected] Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address and phone numbers. The information that you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
Quick Link to Applicant :
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. A Credential Assessment is a rating by the Human Resources Office of an applicant’s/employee’s education, experience, and special credentials/qualifications (licenses, etc.). In order to determine an appropriate rating for each examination, a review of a résumé, cover letter, university/agency official employment application, college transcript, copies of license/certification and any other relevant material may be required.
- Required documentation noted in the posting, such as a driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be uploaded with your application materials.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After assessment of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three (3) scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
https://employment.niu.edu/postings/66539Is Background Check Required?:
YesEEO Statement Summary:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.Visa Policy:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at [email protected].Safety Information:
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.