Systems Administrator SpecialistDepartment:
DAR-Information TechnologyAbout the University of Georgia:
Since our founding in 1785, the University of Georgia has operated as Georgia’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). The proof is in our more than 235 years of academic and professional achievements and our continual commitment to higher education. UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 40,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 10,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
UGA’s Division of Development and Alumni Relations is entrusted with a wealth of information and the IT team is committed to keeping everything accessible and secure. We are responsible for all the technology needs of the division; we manage all enterprise systems, hosting for all websites, file shares, phones, copiers, printers, scanners, TVs, manage user and enterprise endpoints, maintain security and compliance, user access rights, some reporting, audio/video, ensure all hardware and software remains up to date and licensed, and anything else that lands on the table concerning the technology needs of the Division. The team also works in coordination with other units to leverage UGA-wide technology solutions.College/Unit/Department website:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
8:00am–5:00pm; Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends as necessaryAdvertised Salary:
$55,000-$60,000 Commensurate with qualifications and experiencePosting Date:
08/25/2022Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
11/01/2022Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is structured as a permanent position within the Division of Development & Alumni Relations. We are unable to sponsor a work visa for this position.Location of Vacancy:
Athens Area EEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).UGA Statement:
PLEASE NOTE: On December 7, 2021, the federal District Court for the Southern District of Georgia issued a preliminary injunction against enforcing the vaccine requirement forClassification Title:
Federal Contractors pending further review. As a result, the requirements of the Executive Order and associated guidance, including the vaccination requirement for covered contractor employees, are currently not in effect.
The University of Georgia is a Federal Contractor as defined by Presidential Executive Order 14042 and subject to the requirement that Federal Contractors must ensure that all covered employees, including those working remotely, are fully vaccinated by January 4, 2022. You may be required to show proof of your fully vaccinated status at the time of your start date, or have received a medical or religious exemption from the fully vaccinated requirement at the time of your start date. For more information regarding the Federal Contractor fully vaccinated employment requirement please visit https://coronavirus.uga.edu/executive-order/ or call (706) 542-2222.
IT Systems Support ProfessionalFLSA:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with DevOps environments
- Experience with monitoring solutions
- Experience with log management analysis
This position reports to the Associate Director of Applications and Integration and provides oversight of and maintenance for the functionality of Development & Alumni Relations’ (DAR) computing systems. This includes maintaining, configuring, and setting up servers, user setup and data access into the Donor System and UGA Foundation Financial system, has database management responsibilities to ensure availability and integrity of all donor and alumni data, as well as ensuring data backups are viable. The position also includes maintenance of web servers, SQL Server administration, troubleshooting report errors, and assistance with help desk calls pertaining to users as well as system problems.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
- Understanding of TCP/IP and networking.
- Demonstrated skills with at least one server operating system (Linux, Windows).
- Demonstrated skills with at least one hypervisor (VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix).
- Demonstrated skills with change management.
- Demonstrated skills with SQL Server (2008 R2+) and/or MySQL.
- Knowledge of application development methodologies.
- Demonstrated skills with a scripting language (PowerShell, Bash, etc.).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal staff, campus units, and alumni.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Sponsorship not available for position.
Additional Division Expectations:
- Through open, honest, and respectful communication, all staff, supervisors, and colleagues of the Division of Development & Alumni Relations will interact with fairness, compassion, and decency. All employees will be held accountable for meeting the expectation of promoting a stable, productive, and healthy work environment.
- Adherence to CASE standards and commonly accepted industry standards relating to fundraising reporting are expected of all fundraisers. All fundraisers will be held accountable for meeting this expectation.
Is driving a responsibility of this position?:
- Travel in and out of state and country as necessary
- Work evenings and weekends as necessary
- Work in a standard open office environment
- Sit and work at a computer workstation for an extended amount of time
- Work using electronic mail, telephone, face-to-face discussions, paper form correspondence
- Communicate effectively in writing, speaking, and listening
- Organize and establish priorities; Remember detail; Multi-task
- Lift and/or move up to 75 pounds
- Walk, stand, stoop, lift, kneel, climb
NoIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
Percentage of time:
- Administer production Windows, Linux, load balance appliances, and application software.
- Monitor servers, systems, and web site availability and performance.
- Administer multiple production and development SQL and MySQL instances.
- Patch/upgrade operating and application systems.
- Assist with developing standards for critical functions and services; execute recovery operations when necessary.
- Ensure best practice security is followed for systems and applications.
- Write and maintain documentation for setup, administration, and troubleshooting.
- Develop and maintain procedures and scripts for change management and automation using CI/CD methodologies and pipelines using Jenkins, GIT, Nagios, Ansible, etc.
- Troubleshooting hardware and software.
- Manage imaging system associated with the donor system.
- Manage project and support requests.
- Manage division’s GitLab environment.
- Assist administering Qlik analytical platform.
- Assist administering the division’s internally and externally hosted web servers and sites.
Percentage of time:
- Provide day to day technical support for other IT team members, internal application developers, campus users; including utilizing a ticketing system. This could include items like creating new code table entries, assist with SQL, API calls, and such.
- Provide day to day support for users of the Foundation’s financial accounting and donor systems (FAME).
- Primary contact for managing user access for the Foundation’s donor system and primary backup for user access to the Foundation’s financial accounting systems.
- Research and resolve issues concerning the Foundation’s financial accounting and donor application processing.
- Track and resolve data processing issues within the Foundation’s financial accounting system’s Workflow application.
- Evaluate FAME processes and workflows, offer efficiency and automation when appropriate.
- Deploy custom applications and code, striving to automate any repetitive processes as possible.
Percentage of time:
- Work in cross functional teams to meet departmental and division technology requirements.
- Develop solutions for report or data access needs, explore or recommend technology solutions.
Percentage of time:
- Other duties as assigned to include, but not limited to, developing technical specifications for hardware need/upgrades, assisting with end user device support, and identifying emergency technologies.
For questions concerning this position or recruitment progression, please refer to the Recruitment Contact listed below.Recruitment Contact Name:
Development & Alumni Relations’ Office of Talent ManagementRecruitment Contact Email: