Patrol Officer, Police
POSITION TITLE: Patrol Officer, Police
DEPARTMENT: Campus Police
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Police Union
REPORTS TO: Chief of Police Through Chain of Command
PLACEMENT: Police Officer
MINIMUM PAY RATE:$28.41 per hour
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
The Campus Police officer will be responsible for a variety of duties. An officer must have an understanding and accept the philosophy of Campus Community Oriented Policing, and discharge their duties within that context. Meets and maintains all department weapon and use of force qualification standards and requirements. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College police officers' contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform all duties of a department Police Patrol Officer.
2. Interact positively with members of the community on a daily basis. Identify potential problem areas.
3. Assist the department with Crime Prevention in program development and public delivery; act as a liaison for the department.
4. Patrol the campus on foot and/or by motor vehicle; assist pedestrians or motorists in need of assistance.
5. Enforce traffic laws, state statutes and College policies; conduct traffic investigations on campus including vehicular traffic enforcement.
6. Identify and report/correct potential safety hazards; unlock/secure appropriate buildings/rooms and facilities.
7. May be required to function in the role of Officer in Charge.
8. Conduct preliminary and follow up criminal investigations and make arrests when necessary.
9. Monitor traffic/parking conditions and provide appropriate direction and/or enforcement as needed.
10. Testify in court and assist local agencies as required.
11. Have a full working and operating knowledge of all department equipment and databases including Communications Center.
12. Perform other service/security/police related duties as assigned.
13. Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
14. Excellent interpersonal skills.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must be 21 years of age and a U.S. citizen at time of hire.
3. Valid Driver's License and the ability to operate all of the equipment in a police vehicle.
4. Complete State Certified Firearms Training for Police Officers prior to being armed.
5. Valid FOID card or the ability to obtain one.
6. Demonstrated ability to positively interact with a diverse college community. Strong human relations, oral and written communication skills.
7. Problem solving abilities.
8. Pass a thorough background investigation
9. Must pass a Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (P.O.W.E.R) test.
10. Pass a psychological assessment, polygraph, medical screening, and drug screening
11. Successfully complete the Minimum Standards Basic Law Enforcement Training Course as provided in the Illinois Police Training Act (65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-8) if not a current peace Officer.
12. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
13. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation and quality.
1. Associate degree or higher
2. Current certification as a Peace Officer by the Illinois Training and Standards Board in good standing.
3. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
4. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
As required by department needs.
Probationary period is one year from date of hire but may be extended to 18 months.
1. Must have physical ability to assist with the rescue of sick/injured persons on campus.
2. Must be able to maintain a constant foot patrol and make physical arrests when necessary.
3. Must maintain good physical condition.
Duties are performed indoors/outdoors in inclement weather for extended periods of time.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):