Job no: 516066
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Dean - Humanities & Fine Arts
Categories: Career Services, College of Humanities & Fine Arts
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Director of Faculty Development and Programs, Humanities and Fine Arts (HFA) provides vision and oversight for all grant opportunities, programming and training opportunities, and career advancement workshops to facilitate faculty professional growth and success.
- Designs and implements comprehensive programs for faculty development to enhance faculty growth and success at all career stages. Assesses programs and their effectiveness.
- Coordinates programs under the Senior Associate and Associate Deans that support faculty research and creates an overall plan of action to develop and publicize the programs, coordinate the application and review process, as well as award notification. Serves as initial point of contact for communications within Humanities and Fine Arts (HFA) for all faculty development needs.
- Provides leadership for HFA faculty development support programs. Coordinates training workshops and seminars for HFA faculty in areas of career management and advancement including seminars on sabbatical preparation, tenure and pre-tenure , and other faculty development areas, as needed.
- Identifies outreach opportunities, especially as relevant to broader impacts associated with grants, and establish activities that support and enhance faculty outreach and engagement.
- Develops activities and facilitates programs to orient, support and mentor new faculty and first-term Chairs as well as develop programs to enhance leadership skills in college faculty.
- Initiates and facilitates programs that positively impact faculty thriving, well-being, departmental workplace climate, mentoring, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) across the College. Initiate programming that supports DEI including for women and members of underrepresented groups.
- Assists faculty in developing strategies for seeking and applying for awards from foundations and professional societies. Assists in facilitation of HFA awards process and the promotion of faculty for campus awards. In coordination with the HFA Business Office, assist with the administration of awarded grant funding.
- Oversees the process by which endowed funds, available to support specific activities (e.g., lecturers, student projects, etc.), are expended by soliciting proposals, developing the review and award process, and ensuring receipt of post award summaries/reports from recipients when required.
- Manages the HFA Outstanding Teaching Award Program and guest speaker programs including soliciting and reviewing applications, preparing materials, scheduling review sessions, and serving as a resource to faculty. Coordinates and organizes the HFA Research Council Program.
- Creates professional written correspondence on behalf of the Academic Deans, and award/regret letters to applicants for various funding programs.
- Collects and organizes data and use technological resources to provide data driven reports to administrators as requested and develop presentation methods to display data.
- Designs, manages, and executes, in coordination with the Academic Deans and in partnership with counterparts from other colleges, HFA’s senior recognition ceremony. Serve as the College’s liaison to campus commencement planning committees.
- Organizes and executes both on-campus and off-campus college-wide events.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Five (5) years’ combination of event planning/office administration experience.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner with strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with a diverse population.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills. Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new software applications.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Knowledge of University systems, policies, and procedures.
- Master’s Degree.
- Experience working with confidential information.
- Experience working in higher education.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 16 2022 Eastern Daylight Time