DIRECTOR, HONORS PROGRAM (INTERNAL POSTING ONLY) (NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)
Internal Posting Only
Job Title: Director, Honors Program – Internal Full-time Faculty Candidates Only
Division: Division of Academic Affairs
Department: University Honors Program
Opening Date: September 16, 2022
Closing Date: October 10, 2022
Review of all applications will begin immediately and continue until the closing date of October 10, 2022.
Reports to: Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs
Note: This is an 11-month faculty administrative appointment. The term for this appointment is one academic year beginning in fall of 2022, with the possibility of reappointment to additional one-years terms based on performance and service to the UHP.
Overview: Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Director of the Honors Program is charged with the oversight of the University Honors Program (UHP). The Director works collegially with students, faculty, administrators, alumni, donors and other friends of the program to advance UHP’s mission and purpose in alignment with the University Strategic Plan. The Director provides institutional leadership in the development and management of an Honors Program that will cultivate excellence among high-achieving undergraduates.
- Works with the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs to provide academic oversight for admissions standards and review applications
- Work with the Admissions Office on the recruitment and admission of students into the Honors Program
- Assists Student Affairs as needed during new student activities relative to UHP
- Coordinates co-curricular and extracurricular experiences that will nurture the talents and academic well-being of high-achieving students
- Provides leadership in orienting and advising Honors students, monitoring their adherence to basic requirements and their progress towards graduation, arranging for interventions as needed
- Identifies goals and expected outcomes for the UHP
- Assesses the effectiveness of the UHP
- Submits grant requests, as required
- Develops marketing materials for the UHP in conjunction with the University
- Chairs the UHP curriculum committee
- Manages UHP curriculum. Scheduling, recruitment and evaluation of new courses and faculty
- Works with the faculty and academic departments, and the college deans, to assure adequate complement and course scheduling
- Works with Institutional Advancement on donor and alumni initiatives related to the UHP
- Conducts periodic administrative program reviews in accordance with the schedule and process published by Institutional Effectiveness
- Provides monthly Honors Program report to the SVPAA and the AVPAA
- Maintains a database of student achievements
- Prepares and submits annual reports identifying program and student accomplishments, progress toward outcomes and next steps.
- Advises students on research, internship, and other opportunities in conjunction with university offices (Smith Institute for Research, Career Development and Postgraduate Readiness, etc.)
- Perform periodic reviews of the Honors Program
- Performs other duties as assigned
- UHP Steering Committee, consisting of faculty and staff, and students.
Qualifications: Applicants for this position must demonstrate commitment to academic quality and rigor and to the success of the students in the program, and willingness to enhance the position of the UHP on Campus and in the University’s recruitment as well as fundraising.
To Apply: Email your cover letter addressing the position qualifications and experience and curriculum vitae to [email protected].
Johnson C. Smith University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability or veteran’s status as it relates to student enrollment or hiring.