PG192068EPInternal Recruitment :
IT Web Designer/Developer IAnticipated Hiring Range:
8a - 5p M-FJob Location:
Raleigh, NCAbout the Department:
Industry Expansion Solutions (IES) is a major component of the State’s economic development operation by diffusing engineering, science, knowledge and technology to North Carolina industry, business, and public agencies for the enhancement of quality, productivity, and environmental protection. This is accomplished by utilizing professional education and technical assistance that meet the needs of business, industry, and healthcare professionals. Advocating the use of engineering science and technology through best practices promotes corporate growth and the creation of quality products and services. The North Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership (NCMEP) is a recurring federal award administered by IES to ensure access by smaller manufacturers to industry best practices and developing technology.Essential Job Duties:
Website Project Management
IES has an increasing commitment to web presence across its various programs and sub-brands. As a result, this position was created with web design/web development, and communications skills to design, build, and optimize our communication infrastructure. This position is key to enabling information sharing between IES and its stakeholders using a variety of web technologies with an understanding of its impact on marketing communications.
This position manages website technical projects under moderate supervision and in collaboration with the marketing team’s priorities and organizational objectives. As well, this position designs, builds and maintains websites according to brand standards with the basic University themes, expanding the functionality and enhancing the user experience with backend customization.
Website project responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building and maintaining responsive (RWD) WordPress websites that will fluidly change and respond to fit any screen or device size
- Considering user experience in the engaging design of information and graphics on each page/section
- Collaborating on the development and review of site maps and flow of pages/content
- Prioritizing and delivering prompt content updates
- Managing search engine optimization fundamentals for optimizing sites and their content
- Developing and contributing informative, unique SEO rich content, through blogs, graphics, infographics, video and promotional content
- Collaborating with the marketing team and communications specialist for the timing of publishing and promotion for maximum effectiveness
- Collecting, measuring and interpreting website analytics (weekly reporting) for insight on how to improve promotion reach, content engagement, length of visit, and other visitor behavior to identify entrance and exit for a better understanding of areas where there is an opportunity for improvement.
- Researching and investigating new technologies, functionality, add-ons, plug-ins and opportunity for site enhancement
- Troubleshooting errors and technical fixes
- Periodically reviewing existing website pages for functionality and accuracy of information
- Maintaining and enhancing the Manufactured in North Carolina (MNC) supplier database
Percentage of time 50%Technical Knowledge
Exhibits advanced knowledge of WordPress website design, development, user experience, SEO, and understands and use of the standards, theories and best practices associated with website development
Typical projects include:
- Building and modifying databases, CSS, HTML and PHP in order to make changes to the back end of the websites as needed
- Designing with the Adobe Creative Suite, including Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and InDesign
- Staying current on knowledgebase and keeps up with current development and trends in these areas
- Technical Support – Proactively verifies problem resolution.
- Independently resolves routine and non-routine problems
- Performing diagnostics on assigned software and/or hardware. Makes suggestions for technical modifications to prevent future problems
- Exhibits working knowledge of specialty work area demonstrated by an understanding of and ability to apply the standards and terminology associated with the work specialty
- Determines the source of problems. Debugs programs written by other programmers and understands the program logic involved. A troubleshooter.
- Reviews possible solutions to the problems and selects the most appropriate course of action to repair programs with the least amount of disruption for involved clients
Percentage of time 25%Consultancy Skills
Consults with clients and higher-level technicians and analysts to resolve technical problems and ensure client satisfaction
- Establishes a positive relationship by exercising an appropriate action in a timely manner
- Make sure applications are meeting the needs of the clients as programming is being done, not “retrofitting” after-the-fact
- Work with non-technical clients
- Consults with the internal marketing team and members of OIT and ITECS to quickly resolve web issues and ensure internal and external customer satisfaction (Quickly resolves issues when templates are pushed out and broken links occur
- Makes technical recommendations based on analysis of business needs and integration of existing WordPress platform and applications (makes suggestions on plugins for IES website.)
- Provides consultation to marketing and other IES business units on assigned projects.
- Participates in developing team strategies related to emerging technologies
- Develop the strategy to integrate email service with our CRM system, Salesforce.com
Percentage of time 10%Communication Skills
Presents and receives ideas clearly either in writing or verbally
- Work with non-technical clients and translate their needs into applications, while also clearly explaining the consequences of their requests in terms of time, software or hardware requirements if needed
- Be able to communicate with all levels of personnel both verbal and written
- Comfortable explaining details to different “levels of technical” knowledge to groups for numerous websites
- Documents and tracks enhancement requests, development requests, site performance metrics, and processing problems and needed improvements
Percentage of time 15%Other Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties include
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Monitoring best practices and emerging trends related to website management, and working with market research personnel to facilitate the collection, analysis, and reporting of website metrics.
- Contributing to marketing creative activities in planning meetings
- Attending events to assist with booth display, photography, videography and other technical or creative support
- Writing website content, social media posts, press releases, blogs or case studies
- Assisting with graphic design as needed
BA/BS in Digital Marketing, Computer Science or relevant degree or 2-year Technical Associate degree in digital marketing related field plus 5 years business experience designing and maintaining websites
Other Required Qualifications:
- A minimum of 3 years of direct business experience with WordPress responsive website development, management and maintenance.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience with search engine optimization fundamentals and how to optimize a site and its content
- Portfolio or links to current website projects required with application
- Experience contributing collaboratively on a team, and ability to work independently on assigned tasks
- Experience designing, building, maintaining and troubleshooting WordPress websites
- Able to modify backend of website for improved functionality and work independently to resolve technical issues
- 3-5 years of experience with the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign and other creative suite tools
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Experience in video planning, creative storyboards and scripting, filming, editing and producing is a plus
- Experience in digital PPC and display advertising is a plus
- Experience with the new media usage and its technical back-end (e.g., video, animation, etc.) is a plus
- Experience with creating and supporting mobile apps is a plus
- Experience writing marketing-focused website content, blogs, special media posts, press releases and case studies
Ability to obtain NC driver’s license within 60 days of hireValid NC Driver's License required:
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
09/13/2022Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to a fully completed application please submit a cover letter, resume and the contact information for professional references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
140701 - Industry Expansion SolutionsAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.