Assistant Professor, Educational Leadership
The mission of California Lutheran University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice. Founded in 1959 in beautiful Ventura County, the university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students who come from across the nation and around the world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive learning and work environment that values individual differences and respects each person’s dignity.
The Graduate School of Education at California Lutheran University (Cal Lutheran) invites applicants for a tenure track Assistant Professor of Education Leadership beginning in fall of 2023. For this particular position, we are looking for someone with experience/expertise in the K-12 segment, preferably with quantitative research skills. Cal Lutheran is a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and we are looking for candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and success working in diverse, multicultural and multi-racial communities.
The Department of Education Leadership offers both a K-12 and higher education Ed.D and a Master of Arts degree in Education Leadership. For this particular position, we are looking for someone with experience/expertise in the K-12 segment, preferably with quantitative research skills. Common responsibilities for the position include teaching in the MA and doctoral programs/credential courses, doctoral student advisement, and service to the university and broader community.
Under the direction of the Dean, Department Chair or Program Director, the Assistant Professor is responsible for providing academic instruction to students for the assigned graduate courses. The Assistant Professor is to serve as an academic advisor to students; serve on faculty or university committees; and engage in scholarly activities, and/or creative endeavors which contribute to the academic mission of the University, as outlined in the faculty handbook.
· Carry a 12-unit course load per semester caseload based upon teaching, leadership, and dissertation chair assignments E· Integrate current and emerging instructional delivery technologies into the learning process across classroom and online settings E· Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, and ethnic background of university students E· Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the needs of students with disabilities E· Advise and guide students on the development and completion of their dissertations, in particular, those students with quantitative research projects. E· Develop and maintain an active record of scholarship E· Engage in scholarly activities leading to grants, presentations, and/or publications E· Participate in service to the department, school, university, and P-22 (i.e., preschool through higher education) community E· Demonstrate commitment to professional excellence and continuous growth within the subject, field or discipline E
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• Current theory and practice within the subject discipline
• Principles and best practices of effective teaching
• Student learning outcomes and methods of assessment
• University curricula
• Community and campus resources, services, programs, and professionals available to students
• Methods of gathering, analyzing, and preparing data
• Modern computing technology
• Record keeping techniques with regard to student enrollment, attendance, and progress
• Demonstrate a thorough and accurate knowledge in the subject field or discipline
• Deliver course curricula in various learning styles
• Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, and ethnic background of University students
• Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the needs of students with disabilities.
• Integrate current and emerging instructional delivery technologies into the learning process to enhance teaching and the educational experience
• Maintain professional standards that protect student confidentiality
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing using tact, patience, and courtesy
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action
• Demonstrate commitment to professional excellence and continuous growth within subject field or discipline
• Possession of an appropriate earned doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) in education, education leadership, or a related field• Evidence of sustained teaching effectiveness, preferably in the area of K-12 education leadership• Evidence of research and scholarship in K-12 education leadership• Potential for significant service and leadership to the University
· Leadership experience in K-12 school settings· Knowledge of and experience with local, state and national educational issues and trends across the P-22 pipeline· Demonstrated commitment to diversity and equity. Please see CLU’s diversity statement: https://www.callutheran.edu/about/diversity.html· Schedule flexibility to assume teaching responsibilities for monthly Friday night and Saturday classes ongoing throughout the academic year, including summers· Successful experience and background in department and/or university leadership· Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methodology and ability to chair dissertations using these methodologies· Experience in the effective use of technology in educational practice· Successful involvement with university-public school partnerships· Pedagogical experience with hybrid or online teaching strategies· Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Indoor classroom environment; subject to visiting a variety of classroom sites on campus.
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Position End Date:
Open Until Filled:
Application Procedure/Special Instructions:
Please apply on-line at https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/
Make sure to include the following with your application:
To apply, visit https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/9989
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program, activity or facility of the University on the basis of these factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s policies, procedures, and processes.
- A cover letter, including a statement about how the candidate’s experiences will further the HSI designation of the university and the unique needs of underrepresented students
- A complete resume/curriculum vitae
- A one-page statement of teaching philosophy and how the candidate’s teaching adapts to the needs of underrepresented ethnic minority students and first-generation college students
- A one-page statement of research, creative, and/or scholarly activities
- List of references (optional)
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency