The Chief Strategy Officer is primarily responsible for leading the process to develop the overall strategy for the Center on Global Energy Policy (CGEP) and helping ensure there is alignment throughout the organization to achieve organizational goals and objectives. The Chief Strategy Officer is also responsible for creating an environment to attract, retain, and reward high caliber talent and develop career pathways and professional development opportunities to support talent retention and employee satisfaction. This position is an opportunity for a highly strategic, organized individual with exceptional professional judgment and communication skills to be a part of creating organizational and systemic change.
- In collaboration with the Advisory Board and leadership team, develop a five-year strategic plan by engaging with key stakeholders.
- Develop performance indicators for the strategic plan to ensure there are benchmarked metrics to measure and report progress to Advisory Board and leadership team on a consistent basis.
- Support development/fundraising opportunities and grants to align with advancing the strategic plan.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, ensure teams are properly staffed and resourced to execute on the strategic plan.
- Proactively work with teams to ensure initiatives align with the strategic plan, identify any gaps in alignment, and problem solve to develop a cohesive approach.
- Lead the Center’s organizational development process including an employee lifecycle review process to ensure the center is recruiting, developing, and retaining top talent.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, develop an onboarding toolkit to support new staff and ensure consistency in policies and procedures across the Center.
- Identify and coordinate professional development opportunities to build staff skill sets and leadership growth that will allow them to achieve the Center’s strategic plan.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, ensure there is an off-boarding process in place to capture key information that will inform what the Center is doing well and areas for growth.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, develop and implement a performance review process to ensure teams and individuals are setting goals that align to the strategic plan, identifying areas for growth, and provide open channels of communication between supervisors and staff.
- Make recommendations to the Executive Director on the development of internal policies and procedures in alignment with University policies and procedures.
- Support the Center’s change management process, including evaluating the impact of changes on the current structure, liaising with key stakeholders to collect input, and submitting feedback on communications, documents, and strategy.
- Develop a strong, consultative partnership with leaders across the Center and University, clearly communicating center goals and objectives.
- Lead related strategic initiatives assigned by the Founding Director.
- Master’s degree, preferably in public administration or policy.
- Ten or more years of education administration experience.
- Ten or more years of strategic project management and leading change within a large organization.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Ability to convey a vision for the Center’s future to staff, Advisory Board members and partners.
- Knowledge of operational strategies and processes in relation to organizational growth, human capital, and strategic priorities.
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills required.
- Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Location of position
New York City, NY
Applications should be sent to: Apply directly to: https://opportunities.columbia.edu/en-us/job/529396/chief-strategy-officer