Civil, Construction & Environmental Engineering - Assoc./Full Professor - 517462
- The University of Alabama
- Faculty Jobs
- Engineering & Mathematics, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Professional Fields, Architecture & Urban Planning, Social Sciences, Geography
- Position Type
- Tenured & Tenure-Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Apply nowJob no: 517462
Work type: Regular Full-time (Benefits eligible)
Categories: Tenure/Tenure-Track Faculty
214231 - Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
The Department of Civil, Construction, & Environmental Engineering is recruiting multiple tenured/tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of Associate or Full Professor. The following areas of research expertise are to be emphasized in the search:
• Thermal and structural performance of building envelopes and energy systems.
• Adaptive controls for HVAC and lighting systems.
• Applied thermodynamics, heat transfer, and mechanical systems engineering applied to distributed energy technologies.
• Development of novel processes and technologies to reduce embodied and operational carbon emissions.
• Digital transformation of the built environment at network and city scales to support decision making for sustainable and resilient infrastructure systems.
Appointments to the faculty of The University of Alabama are based on the personnel requirements of the University’s academic programs and on the goal of achieving and maintaining excellence in its teaching, research, and service/academic citizenship activities.
Detailed Position Information
The Department of Civil, Construction, & Environmental Engineering at the University of Alabama invites applications for multiple tenured/tenure-track positions at the Associate or Full Professor rank in Architectural Engineering and in Construction Engineering and Management.
Architectural Engineering – Candidates must have demonstrated expertise in or experience related to one of the following fields: thermal and structural performance of building envelopes and energy systems; adaptive controls for HVAC and lighting systems for improved energy efficiency, thermal comfort, and human health; applied thermodynamics, heat transfer, and mechanical systems engineering applied to distributed energy technologies in facilities and/or community-scale energy applications.
Construction Engineering and Management – Candidates will possess expertise or related experience in one of the following: development of novel processes and technologies in the construction industry to reduce embodied and operational carbon emissions; digital transformation of the built environment at network and city scales to support decision making for sustainable and resilient infrastructure systems.
Faculty are expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, develop a sustained, externally funded research program that conducts impactful research, and participate in outreach and service activities. Both basic and applied research are valued as is collaborative, multi-disciplinary research.
The department offers ABET/EAC accredited Bachelor of Science degrees in civil engineering, construction engineering, architectural engineering, and environmental engineering. The department also offers six minors in the areas of architectural, civil, construction, environmental and water resources, transportation, and structural engineering. At the graduate level, the department offers the Master of Science in civil engineering, the Master of Science in environmental engineering, and Doctor of Philosophy in civil engineering. The department also supports two dual-degree graduate programs – the joint MSCE/MBA and joint MSCE/JD.
Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) from an accredited institution. Applicants for Architectural Engineering positions must have earned at least one degree in Architectural Engineering and a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in civil engineering, architectural engineering, or a closely related field. Applicants for Construction Engineering and Management positions must have earned a doctoral degree in civil engineering or a closely related field.
Individuals must have a demonstrated record of achievement in teaching, academic research, and service. All applicants must have conducted prior research work and produced scholarly publications in refereed and other professional journals. Applicants must also meet all university criteria for appointment to the rank of Associate or Full Professor.
• PhD in Civil or Architectural Engineering or a closely related field from an accredited institution.
• Have a demonstrated record of high-quality research and scholarly publications that is recognized nationally.
• Significant record of scholarship in a department with undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Civil or Architectural Engineering.
• Experience working in a multicultural and diverse environment.
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
• A strong record of both external grant funding and scholarship as demonstrated through refereed journal publications, and professional service.
Instructions and Required Materials for Application
Required application documents include: resume/curriculum vitae, cover letter, names of three references, description of research accomplishments, statement of future research plans, statement of teaching philosophy, and description of approach to and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education. Questions about the application process may be submitted at: https://cce.eng.ua.edu/about/contact-us.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed continuously until the positions are filled with an expected start date of August 16, 2023.
About the College of Engineering
As one of the first five universities in the nation to offer engineering instruction, The University of Alabama has more than 175 years of engineering education experience. UA’s College of Engineering is committed to conducting leading-edge research, providing unparalleled educational opportunities and investing in students who will be the scholars and industry professionals shaping the future of the field of engineering.
Research is a critical component of our mission as the flagship university in the state of Alabama. Over the past decade, the College’s research activity has more than doubled, and the Shelby Science and Engineering Quad was completed at a cost of more than $300 million. There are 10 research centers housed under the College, spanning areas from cybersecurity to transportation, that are dedicated to making sustainable changes and an impact on local, national and global levels.
With hundreds of award-winning faculty and staff members, and a diverse offering of nationally accredited programs, facilities and resources, the College has positioned itself for success as a leader in engineering education.
About The University of Alabama
The University of Alabama, part of The University of Alabama System, is the state’s flagship university. UA shapes a better world through its teaching, research and service. With a global reputation for excellence, UA provides an inclusive, forward-thinking environment and nearly 200 degree programs on a beautiful, student-centered campus.
A leader in cutting-edge research, UA advances discovery, creative inquiry and knowledge through more than 30 research centers. The University of Alabama has R1: Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and is among the top doctoral research universities in the United States.
As the state’s largest higher education institution, UA drives economic growth in Alabama and beyond.
Tuscaloosa is so much more than a college town.
It's a vibrant community that’s filled with legendary history. Located along the Black Warrior River, the city features a walkable downtown that’s complete with live music, locally owned shops, outdoor spaces to explore and local restaurants to meet every palate. With a geography ranging from suburban to rural, the area offers a variety of housing options along with excellent public and private schools and a wealth of recreational and entertainment options.
With a metro area population of 235,000, the Druid City lies about an hour southwest of Birmingham, in west-central Alabama. It’s within a few hours’ drive of Gulf Coast beaches and major cities like Nashville, New Orleans and Atlanta, making it a great base for growing better acquainted with the South’s finest offerings.
Background Investigation and EEO Statement
Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation and information obtained from social media and other internet sources. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction or negative behavioral red flags before a hiring decision is made.
The University of Alabama is an Equal Employment/Equal Educational Opportunity Institution. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against because of their protected status. Applicants to and employees of this institution are protected under Federal law from discrimination on several bases. Follow the link below to find out more. "EEO is the Law" https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Advertised: 12 Sep 2022 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 31 May 2023 Central Daylight Time
The University of Alabama embodies an academic community that demands excellence in teaching, research and service and provides an inclusive, nurturing environment for the discovery of knowledge and the development of well-rounded leaders. Founded in 1831 as Alabama's first public college and known as the Capstone of Higher Education, UA provides a premier undergraduate and graduate education built upon global engagement, high-quality scholarship, outstanding teaching, and diversity and inclusivity throughout the community.
The University of Alabama will advance the intellectual and social condition of the people of the state, the nation and the world through the creation, translation and dissemination of knowledge with an emphasis on quality programs in the areas of teaching, research and service.
The University of Alabama will be known as the university of choice for the best and brightest students in Alabama, and all students who seek exceptional educational opportunities. The University of Alabama will be a student-centered research university and an academic community united in its commitment to enhance the quality of life for all Alabamians and the citizens of the nation and the world.
Our Core Values
The University of Alabama is committed to:
- Undergraduate education that produces socially-conscious, ethical and well-rounded leaders who are grounded in their subject matter and capable of controlling their own destinies.
- Graduate education that is deeply vested in subject matter knowledge, professional content, research skills and creative activity.
- Public outreach and service that is held in the highest regard and fosters impactful public engagement to enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Alabama, the nation and the world.
- Campus life that embodies collaboration, collegiality, respect and a culture of inclusivity.
Our Strategic Goals
- Provide a premier undergraduate and graduate education that offers a global perspective and is characterized by outstanding teaching, high-quality scholarship and distinctive curricular and co-curricular programs. Increase the University’s productivity and innovation in research, scholarship and creative activities that impact economic and societal development.
- Enrich our learning and work environment by providing an accepting, inclusive community that attracts and supports a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Provide opportunities and resources that facilitate work-life balance and enhance the recruitment and retention of outstanding faculty and staff.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert