Clinical Assistant/Associate/Professor of PharmacologyCampus:
School of Medicine GreenvilleCollege/Division:
School of Medicine GreenvilleDepartment:
SOMG Biomedical SciencesAdvertised Salary Range:
Full TimeHours per Week:
Full-time Equivalent (FTE)Basis :
12 monthsWork County:
Professional TrackJob Search Category:
FacultyAbout University of South Carolina:
From the Upstate to the Lowcountry, the University of South Carolina system is transforming the lives of South Carolinians through the impact of our eight institutions and 20 locations throughout the state. More than 50,000 students are enrolled at one of eight institutions, including the research campus in Columbia and comprehensive four-year universities in Aiken, Upstate and Beaufort. In addition, our Palmetto College campuses in Salkehatchie, Union, Lancaster and Sumter enable students to earn associate or bachelor’s degrees through a combination of in-person, online or blended learning. All of our system institutions place strong emphasis on service — helping to build healthier, more educated communities in South Carolina and beyond.Diversity Statement:
At the University of South Carolina, we strive to cultivate an inclusive environment that is open, welcoming, and supportive of individuals of all backgrounds. We recognize diversity in our workforce is essential to providing academic excellence and critical to our sustainability. The University is committed to eliminating barriers created by institutional discrimination through accountability and continuous process improvement. We celebrate the diverse voices, perspectives, and experiences of our employees.Advertised Job Summary:
The Department of Biomedical Sciences at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville (UofSC SOMG) is seeking applications for faculty with discipline-specific expertise in pharmacology to enhance the diversity of our teaching team. The position is open at the assistant professor, associate professor, or professor level within the professional track, depending on experience and qualifications. Our learners study foundational science in an integrated curriculum that incorporates asynchronous and synchronous learning through didactic lectures, active learning, and laboratory experiences with a special focus on lifestyle medicine. We seek engaging, team-oriented medical educators to share in our mission of providing innovative and meaningful experiences that prepare our learners for success in their clinical endeavors. Candidates are also expected to participate in scholarly activities and research programs that will provide opportunities to mentor our students for future success. Engaging oral and written communication, as well as inclusive interpersonal skills, are essential for success in this role. Required Education and Experience:
Job Duties :
Teaching – 50%
Serve as content expert in developing specific module content in the discipline of pharmacology; deliver content using a variety of teaching modalities; serve as content expert in case development; facilitate development of educational materials, including assessment items, as needed by other teaching faculty.
Work with all module directors to ensure integration and continuity of content across the curriculum; review all assessment items for format, accuracy, and appropriateness of content, and map to objectives.
Attend learning activities to ensure integration and appropriate delivery of content; review curriculum feedback and progress to identify strengths and weaknesses and provide feedback to all appropriate individuals.
Research – 30%
Develop and conduct scholarly activities which may include educational, comparative effectiveness, translational, and/or other forms of collaborative research; submit findings for publication, for regional and national presentations, and for extramural funding support as appropriate
Service – 20%
Serve as a representative of UofSC SOMG through selection for service to local, state, and national specialty organizations within the area of expertise of the faculty member, or through the research areas of medical education, comparative effectiveness, translational research, or lifestyle medicine.
Provide educational support for at-risk or underachieving students, as well as service on medical school committees as assigned.
Other duties as assigned.
Ph.D or equivalent terminal degree in pharmacology or a related discipline and/or a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree. PharmD candidates should have academic experience. Candidates with broad teaching experience in pharmacology.
- Appointment at the rank of Clinical Professor requires a record of outstanding professional performance, and have at least nine years of effective, relevant experience. This rank is reserved for individuals with proven stature as an educator.
- Appointment at the rank of Clinical Associate Professor must have a record of effective professional performance and have strong potential for further development as an educator.
- Appointment at rank of Clinical Assistant Professor must have strong potential for development as an educator.
Desired Start Date:
- Experience and expertise with the design, delivery, and evaluation of an integrated foundational science course at an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Experience in a learner-centered environment with innovative teaching methods including Team- Based Learning, problem-based learning, or case-based learning.
- Candidates must demonstrate the ability to translate health systems topics to clinically relevant application for medical students, and show how these issues impact patient care, drive change within the healthcare system, and become a platform for patient advocacy.
- Proven record of dissemination in scholarship related to foundational sciences/translational research (e.g., implementation science, population health and patient-centered outcomes research), curriculum and medical education research, and/or collaborative research within a patient care clinical delivery system.
01/01/2023Job Open Date:
08/25/2022Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
This position is open until filled. The employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or emailQuicklink for Posting:
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.