Postdoctoral Fellow Location:
Augusta University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
College/Department Information The Georgia Cancer Center is on a mission for Georgia providing industry-leading cancer research and care that benefits patients locally and globally. Our ultimate goal is to eradicate cancer and we are proudly making progress every day. When we say patient care is a priority, we mean it. We assemble custom teams of field experts to address each individual’s unique needs. The Georgia Cancer Center M. Bert Storey Research Building provides quality research space to promote multidisciplinary collaborations and translational research, which is essential to creating an environment that promotes innovation. Our research approach supports important National Cancer Institute goals including ensuring every cancer patient has access to the newest and most innovative clinical trials in the nation, clinicians and researchers work together to initiate new research protocols based on the clinician’s interaction with the patient, and each cancer patient receives personalized treatment through the interaction of the multidisciplinary team of clinicians and allied health professionals.The Medical College of Georgia is one of the nation’s largest medical schools by class size, with 260 students per class. The educational experience is anchored by the main campus in Augusta, regional clinical campuses for third- and fourth-year students across the state and a second four-year campus in Athens in partnership with the University of Georgia. MCG’s expanding partnerships with physicians and hospitals across Georgia currently provides about 350 sites where students can experience the full spectrum of medicine, from complex care hospitals to small-town solo practices. MCG and its teaching hospitals also provide postgraduate education to more than 500 residents and fellows in 50 different Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-approved programs. Our researchers and clinicians focus on what most impacts the health of Georgia's and America’s children and adults, including cardiovascular biology and disease, cancer, neurosciences and behavioral sciences, public and preventive health, regenerative and reparative medicine, personalized medicine and genomics. Our physician faculty also share their expertise with physicians and patients at about 100 clinics and hospitals statewide.Job Summary The Postdoctoral Fellow will investigate the function of heat shock factors, glucose regulated proteins and molecular chaperones in cancer using immunonological techniques. This is a training position designed to learn through engagement in an advanced level of scientific technical and administrative work in support of research efforts in an assigned laboratory or clinical research setting. Participate in research data collection and documentation within relevant guidelines and protocols; develop and evaluate new research techniques and procedures; publish results in scientific journals. Perform a variety of complex chemical, biological, cytologic, microscopic, histologic, surgical, clinical, statistical/computational and dissection procedures.Responsibilities Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in project planning and development of research protocols while insuring adherence to accepted scientific research principles and compliance with relevant federal guidelines.
- Analyze results of experiments and procedures using manual or computer techniques and, if necessary, develop special computer programs to facilitate analysis. Teach and participate in complex bacteriological, chemical and/or radio-chemical qualitative and quantitative analysis, macro- and micro-serological, histologic and cell culture procedures.
- Coordinate and participate in research of scientific literature; summarize and evaluate findings; develop derivative applications of techniques developed by own research activities or reported by other research projects. Presents findings at scientific meetings locally, nationally and internationally.
- Compose articles for publication in scientific journals; review articles prepared by others.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of students, graduate assistants and other research personnel engaged in research activities and/or related laboratory work. Advise principal investigators, other postdocs, students and other research personnel on research techniques, procedures and other technological aspects of research activities.
- Calibrate, troubleshoot, repair and operate microscopes, computer-linked analytical equipment, dedicated computers and other complex scientific equipment; instruct others in operation of equipment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications Ph.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited college or universityPreferred Qualifications Familiar with common biochemical and genetic techniques (western blotting, RNA and DNA isolation, plasmids construction)Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Interested in performing virological experiments
Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databasesAbility to perform mouse experimentation (injection, mouse handling)Ability to perform tumor biology and immunology (transplantation, FACS analyses)Shift/Salary/Benefits Shift: Days; Monday - Friday (Work outside of normal business hours may be required) Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: Until FilledAugusta University offers a variety of benefits to full-time benefits-eligible employees and some of our half-time (or more) employees. Benefits that may be elected could include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, Teachers Retirement System (or Optimal Requirement Retirement), as well as earned vacation time, sick leave, and 13 paid holidays. Also, our full-time employees who have been employed with us successfully for more than 6 months can be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program. Consider applying with us today!Conditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University. All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during the course of their employment and beyond.Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.