Filmmaking & Moving Image Arts Full-time Tenure Track Faculty Position
- Sarah Lawrence College
- Bronxville, NY
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, Fine & Performing Arts, Professional Fields, Law & Legal Studies
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Filmmaking & Moving Image Arts Full-time Tenure Track Faculty PositionRank:
Tenure TrackJob Description:
Sarah Lawrence College, Filmmaking & Moving Image Arts program invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Filmmaking and Screenwriting. We seek an accomplished filmmaker/screenwriter whose teaching will explore diverse perspectives in these disciplines. The college is interested in candidates with teaching experience, an established career in filmmaking, and a clear commitment to their own creative evolution. While the successful candidate will have at the core of their interests a fundamental practice in directing and screenwriting, this position is part of the program’s commitment to collaborating with accomplished filmmakers who imagine new narratives that disrupt existing and historic modalities in the entertainment industry. We accordingly encourage candidates with experience across a variety of filmmaking and screenwriting disciplines, including narrative film & television, indie filmmaking, short form, and augmented/virtual reality, to apply. We look for a colleague who can inspire limitless creative expression and integrate practical and professional skill building.
Beyond class instruction, courses at Sarah Lawrence include a significant component of individualized or small-group work with students. Candidates may want to familiarize themselves with the basics of this distinctive pedagogical model (please see our website here) before applying and indicate in their cover letter how they envision working in this format.
Applications should include: a brief cover letter, curriculum vitae, two sample syllabi (one focused on screenwriting, the other on filmmaking), two-three samples of creative work via web link, a list of three references, and a statement of teaching philosophy that indicates how your teaching considers diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Consideration of applications will begin on November 29, 2022.
Effective October 15, 2021, all employees of Sarah Lawrence College must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Exceptions to this requirement will only be considered for documented medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs. Any offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and submission of proof of vaccination.EEO Statement:
Sarah Lawrence College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has as one of its goals the recruitment and retention of a racially and culturally diverse administration, staff and faculty. To that end, every job opening is seen as an opportunity to increase diversity and every effort will be made to expand the applicant pool in accordance with these goals.
Sarah Lawrence College is located in southern Westchester County, 25 minutes by train from midtown Manhattan, NYC. For information on Sarah Lawrence College, our curriculum, teaching methods, and philosophy of education, please see our web site at https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/.
F00128POpen Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Sarah Lawrence is a prestigious, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Founded in 1926 and consistently ranked among the leading liberal arts colleges in the country, Sarah Lawrence is known for its pioneering approach to education, rich history of impassioned intellectual and civic engagement, and vibrant, successful alumni. In close proximity to the unparalleled offerings of New York City, our historic campus is home to an inclusive, intellectually curious, and diverse community.
Talented, creative students choose Sarah Lawrence for the opportunity to take charge of their education. In close collaboration with our dedicated, distinguished faculty, students create a rigorous, personalized course of study, conduct independent research, and connect a wide array of disciplines. They graduate knowing how to apply the knowledge, skills, and critical thinking necessary for life after college.
Sarah Lawrence College occupies 44 wooded acres in Yonkers, NY, near the Village of Bronxville—just north of New York City. A 30-minute train ride from the Bronxville station takes students into Midtown Manhattan.
In addition to our round-table classrooms, Sarah Lawrence has outstanding theatres, art and performance studios, and music spaces; modern science labs; state-of-the-art graphic computing equipment; competitive sports facilities; a 60,000-square-foot visual arts center; and recently renovated dining facilities.
Our students are men and women who share an enthusiasm for intellectual rigor, academic risk taking, creativity in all disciplines, and original and interdisciplinary work. We are particularly committed to having our faculty, administration, and student body reflect the social, racial, and economic diversity that characterizes our society. The College’s 1,377 undergraduate students come from nearly every state and from 53 countries; 84 percent of undergrads live on campus.
At Sarah Lawrence, students spend more time one-on-one with award-winning faculty than do students at any other college in the country.
Working At Sarah Lawrence College
As a Sarah Lawrence employee, you will join a warm, challenging, and diverse community that offers both quality of life advantages and tangible, valuable employee benefits.
When you work at Sarah Lawrence, you:
- Receive outstanding benefits, such as medical, dental, and vision plans that exceed the standard plans offered by many companies and institutions, and an exceptional retirement plan through TIAA-CREF.
- Have unparalleled educational opportunities, such as tuition benefits on campus for employees, their spouses, and their children; discounted tuition to the College’s renowned nursery school; and tuition benefit programs for dependent children who attend other colleges.
- Have continuous opportunities for advancement, as it is College policy to fill vacancies by promotion or transfer whenever possible.
- Enjoy boundless cultural experiences, including readings, lectures, music, theater, film screenings, dance performances, art exhibitions, and a state-of-the-art library, free to employees. · Have free access to the 48,000-square-foot Campbell Sports Center, with a six-lane pool, modern weight/fitness training center, squash courts, gymnasium, indoor track, outdoor tennis courts, and fitness classes, open to employees seven days per week.
- Have several on-campus options for meals, plus off-campus discounts at local restaurants and stores.
- Work in a convenient location close to all major highways, easily accessed from the Metro-North Harlem line, and 35 minutes from mid-town Manhattan.
- Enjoy free parking on campus, a 10% discount at the college bookstore.
1 Mead Way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert