Job no: 515637
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: UMDI - Civics Initiative
Categories: Program Administration/Management
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The UMass Donahue Institute (UMDI) Civic Initiative Senior Program Manager works with the unit director and other unit members, as well as potential external partners, to design and propose domestic and international exchange programs that promote democracy through education and cultural exchange in the U.S. and abroad. The Senior Program Manager is expected to be an adaptable, creative problem-solver; a collaborative, organized self-starter able to think unconventionally and understand and independently manage the operations of a nimble global engagement unit. In addition, they will foster collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders, provide ongoing supervision and mentoring to project staff, engage in business development, and support efforts to improve overall organizational capacity.
- Strategic Management, Supervision and Business Development
- Participate in the development of the unit’s strategic plan.
- Work with internal and external partners to develop and submit complex proposals to funders.
- Develop and administer exchange programs, plan scope and format of events, establish and monitor budgets, review administrative procedures, and monitor event progress.
- Work with funders and partners to discuss and address common issues and challenges.
- Manage development and execution of business unit contracts, budgets, and staffing levels.
- Guide, train, and provide ongoing mentoring and supervision to staff.
- Conduct annual performance reviews and provide ongoing feedback relative to staff capabilities and annual goals.
- Project Management
- Conceptualize and develop program plans, engage University faculty, international participants, and the local community; measure and evaluate effectiveness of programs.
- Oversee international recruitment plans and strategies to identify and recruit diverse international applicants prioritizing individuals from underserved communities.
- Work with the unit finance and admin team to execute contracts, amendments, and project renewals.
- Monitor grant expenses in relation to the approved budget to ensure that the funds are expended appropriately.
- Support development of case studies, success stories, and toolkits, including best practices and lessons learned.
- Participant Management and Trainings
- Initiate and lead meetings with stakeholders to plan scope and format of events, establish and monitor budgets, review administrative procedures and monitor event progress.
- Provide day to day assistance to program participants and staff regarding program requirements, logistics, health and safety, travel, and all other necessary support functions.
- Plan and lead classroom sessions and events online or in-person according to program needs.
- Conduct research, design new curriculum, and collaborate with others to ensure programs remain current and maximize participant learning goals.
- Communications and Client Relations
- Serve as key representative to internal and external stakeholders, both public and private.
- Represents the Civic Initiative at international, national, University and UMDI meetings, conferences and other events.
- Program implementing staff at various Universities and Centers.
- Remain current and ensure compliance with all regulations concerning international visitors and sponsored awards.
- Participate in business unit and UMDI-wide initiatives.
- Travel internationally and domestically.
- Serve as an emergency contact for all international program participants.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Masters’ Degree in Public Administration or related field.
- 5+ years of grant writing experience.
- 5+ years of logistical planning/management experience.
- Specialized knowledge regarding international exchange programs and the needs of participants.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; successful experience working and communicating with diverse populations.
- Effective project management skills including planning, evaluation, budget management, execution, facilitation, and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability/experience in the following areas:
- strong organizational, analytical, and written and verbal communications skills
- ability to prioritize, manage, and monitor deadlines of self and others in a very fast-paced environment
- utmost discretion in handling confidential information and material
- classroom management, adult learning, and effective facilitation techniques
- Microsoft Office proficiency
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- 7+ years of experience with grant writing, grant implementation and international logistical planning/management.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Multiple hours in a stationary position, using office equipment and computers, attending meetings, working closely and collaboratively with others.
- Ability to work on site at 100 Venture Way in Hadley, MA.
- Office environment is a busy, open area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- Some lifting and transporting supplies and materials up to 20 pounds.
- Travel across the U.S. and internationally.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This is a full-time, benefited position.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- This position is funded by grants and/or contracts and is contingent upon funding.
- Applicants who are not authorized to work in the U.S. will not be considered.
- Any job offer is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- UMass Donahue Institute YouTube Channel
- A full-time work schedule consisting of five, eight-hour days and 40 hours each week; seasonal work hours will be non-standard.
- Work performed in addition to regular hours may be necessary, as may change in availability at specific times, to accommodate for variations in work demands.
- The ability to work nights and weekends during the summer months of May-August.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 22 2022 Eastern Daylight Time