Fordham University is seeking a full-time director of media relations to promote the University in national, international, and local media—print, broadcast, and digital. We are seeking a media relations professional with a track record of placing stories in high-profile media. The director will supervise an assistant director; be the University’s primary contact for media relations; be responsible for day-to-day media pitches and inbound requests; and work as part of a diverse and highly collaborative communications and marketing team. The salary is $90,000 to $100,000 annually. Fordham offers excellent medical, vacation, and educational benefits. Hybrid work routine available after six-month probation period.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (REQUIRED RESPONSIBILITIES)
• Pitches local and national media stories about Fordham.
• Serves as primary contact for media relations; responsible for day-to-day media relations pitches and media requests.
• Helps promote the University via a comprehensive media relations program in print, broadcast, online, and social media.
• Develops and coordinates public media placements/pitches with senior director of communications.
• Supervises assistant director of media relations.
• Keeps senior director and AVP informed of potentially controversial subject matter in the media.
• Oversees production of and edits weekly media mentions report (Rams in the News) to the University community.
• Supervises contract and internal public relations staff and assigns pitching responsibilities.
• Serves as liaison to television and film production crews.
• Works with the senior director and outside Public Relations counsel to create and execute media relations plan.
• Maintains a database of earned media mentions and produces annual media mentions summary by school and the Faculty of Arts & Sciences.
• Participates as senior member of crisis communications team requiring on-call emergency status.
• Develops and maintains relationships with media contacts and internal clients. Identifies and cultivates targeted media contacts; contributes to and maintains media contact database.
• Attends University events and facilitates media access to campus events and facilities.
• Travels inter-campus as needed.
• Supports faculty members in writing byliners and op-eds with editorial and media relations guidance
• Oversees faculty expert database.
• Advises academic departments of relevant news opportunities; keeps departmental webmasters advised of relevant content.
• Supports development and alumni relations with story ideas and placements that reach prospective donors and DMAs with significant concentrations of alumni.
• Baccalaureate Degree in journalism, communications, or related field required.
• Minimum of 10 years media and/or media relations experience.
• Demonstrated media placement ability.
• Strong news writing and pitching skills.
• Working knowledge of MAC platform Microsoft Word.
• No candidate will be considered without media placement clips.
FLSA CATEGORY: Exempt
START DATE: ASAP