JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Center for Language Acquisition at The Pennsylvania State University is currently recruiting a part-time Research Associate to contribute to research in second language acquisition. This opening will involve designing, carrying out, and analyzing experiments about second language learning, especially of Russian and other less commonly taught languages (e.g., Korean).
- Contribute to the development, design, and execution of research projects in second language acquisition, including of Russian, under general direction of Dr. Kevin McManus.
- Recruit and schedule participants for experiments.
- Initiate or contribute to data analysis for use in technical reports, documents, proposals, or oral/written presentations.
- Draft protocols, abstracts, and consent forms connected with research projects.
- Train users and other employees in equipment operation, research techniques, data recording functions.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: (applied) linguistics, second language studies, (cognitive) psychology, education, Russian (or related) - MA (or equivalent) in one or more of: (applied) linguistics, second language studies, (cognitive) psychology, education, Russian (or related).
- Expertise in Russian.
- Knowledge of a range of research methods (including transcription, testing and measurement in second language acquisition research), research designs (including experimental designs), and quantitative data analysis (e.g., R) and software (e.g., EPrime, FindingFive, or similar data collection platforms).
- Experience carrying out both independent and collaborative research and writing for publication.
- Experience working with and/or conducting research with second language learners.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing, using a range of media and networks for dissemination
In addition, successful candidates must either have demonstrated a commitment to building an inclusive, equitable, and diverse campus community, or describe one or more ways they would envision doing so, given the opportunity.
Salary: $20-25 per hour, depending on experience, up to 20 hours per week for 12 months
Anticipated Start Date: October 1, 2022
Application Materials: Please submit a cover letter (no more than two pages) and a Curriculum Vitae (CV). In addition, candidates should be prepared to provide the names, titles, and contact information (telephone, email, and mailing address) of three (3) professional references, if requested. Application Deadline: September 23, 2022
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity in society and nature, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.