Instructor, Business Management - Temporary Full Time Faculty Assignment🔍Houston, Texas, System Wide
📅220025M Requisition #📅1 day ago Post DateSUMMARY
Provide the expertise and knowledge that support the college curriculum and programs. Establish courses following accepted higher education standards, teach students using a variety of effective methodologies and provide engagement and support activities that encourage student learning. The role of the Instructional Faculty encompasses teaching and learning, academic advising, professional development and institutional and community service.Faculty is expected to teach a full load each semester as defined in the Faculty Workload Guidelines. Demonstrate expertise and experience in classroom teaching. Faculty may be required to teach at various locations in the District; including, but not limited to, dual credit sections at partner school districts. Faculty may be assigned to teach in the modalities of face-to-face, hybrid, online (synchronous or asynchronous), or any combination of modalities.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Teaching:Demonstrate skill and/or knowledge in teaching discipline;Make continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods;Develop and use a syllabus for each course or laboratory within college, discipline, and departmental guidelines and submit one copy to the department chair;Plan, develop, and use a variety of innovative teaching methods and materials that assist students in meeting course objectives/learning outcomes and which are appropriate for students with differing educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles;Evaluate students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course objectives/learning outcomes and inform them of their progress in the course in a timely manner;Keep accurate student records and submit related reports and forms within requested timelines;Review, evaluate, and recommend student textbooks and learning materials;Teach courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional and program/discipline needs including, but not limited to, dual credit sections at partner school districts;Teach in the modalities of face-to-face, hybrid, online (synchronous or asynchronous), or any combination of modalities;Use equipment and facilities responsibly and courteously. Where appropriate, assist the chair with the routine maintenance of instructional laboratories andDemonstrate competence and interest in the use of technology in the classroom and willingness to explore new instructional methodologies.Should submit all grades, attendance rosters, or any other required items at the stipulated time
2. Academic Advising:Maintain professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the community;Provide access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication, and other appropriate methods. Provide advice and assistance to students regarding instructional or program-specific issues;Make presentations on a particular academic field or program - its subject matter, objectives, opportunities for further study (transfer opportunities), and opportunities for work (co-ops, part-time, work-study) and careers, special clubs and activities available, support services, scholarships, etc.;Work with Chair/Director to take on appropriate academic advising activities as needed by the College and Department. (For examples, please refer to the HCC Faculty Workload Guidelines) 3. Professional Development:Establish annual objectives for professional growth in consultation with the department chair;Keep pace with developments in the discipline;Learn and apply innovative technologies that support student learning andParticipate in the evaluation process for self, department, and college;
4. Institutional and Community Service:Works collaboratively with HCC engineering technology programs;Assist in bringing ABET accreditation to HCC and to help insure quality in course offerings consistent with ABET standards;Work collaboratively with the West Houston Center Director in the coordination of conferences, meetings, workshops, and outreach activities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics;Participate in scheduled institutional service activities including opening week events, conference days, and commencement exercises, graduationParticipate in discipline committee or program meetings and activities;Actively participate in department, college or system meetings and/ or committees;Be familiar with and adhere to all policies and procedures of HCCS;Participate in college-related activities such as student activities, selection of faculty, community education, recruitment of students, and/or special programs;Participate in business and/or student activities and/or community activities that foster goodwill and promote the mission of HCCS;Participate in activities required to maintain program and college accreditation standards;Participate in the HCCS planning process by assisting in the formulation of departmental objectives and goals and in establishing budget priorities;Review, evaluate, and revise program curricula and practices to assure compliance with professional standards, state-mandated guidelines and requirements of business/ industry, and higher education andAssist in the articulation of courses and programs with secondary and post-secondary institutions.QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.EDUCATION
Master's degree with 18 completed graduate hours in business required.Master’s degree in Business Administration, International Business, Marketing, Logistics or Management preferred.Copy of transcript conferring required degree and certification(s) must accompany application.EXPERIENCE
3 years work experience in the business administration area with emphasis in one of the preferred fields required.1 year college-level teaching experience preferred.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.The Organization
- Possess the ability to work in a diverse work environment;
- Willing and able to teach day or evening classes at a number of sites around the city;
- Knowledge and skill in a variety of computer usage and software are required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse professional, community, and student population;
- Possess good organizational and planning skills;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities;
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate students in a learning-centered environment; and
- Self-disciplined and able to effectively manage others.
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We’re proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees. The Team
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their teaching home. We appreciate your dedication to educating students! When you join our talented faculty team, you’ll play a special role as teacher, mentor and academic advisor. We’ll support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community.Location
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Third-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City’s 55.
- 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don’t forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate health care system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation’s top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston’s cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you’re ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran’s status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policiesDavid Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX CoordinatorOffice of Institutional EquityPO Box 667517 Houston TX, 77266713 718.8271 or [email protected]
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.