Search #: 496713JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Student Programs and Services
The University of Connecticut Enrichment Programs seeks a Health Professions Advisor (Student Services Program Coordinator) to assist in developing, implementing, and administering holistic pre-professional advising services. Under the supervision of the Director and Assistant Director of Pre-Professional Advising, the Health Professions Advisor will support and advise students and alumni interested in pursuing careers in the health professions. The Health Professions Advisor will also contribute to the preparation of individualized cover letters and letter packets for applicants to health professional programs.
The Health Professions Advisor will be expected to quickly learn and understand the range of undergraduate courses and programs available at the University in relation to preparation for professional study. They must be an effective problem solver, accustomed to working under limited supervision, and capable of prioritizing and completing administrative tasks related to academic programs.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises students and alumni interested in health careers, including medicine and dental medicine, both independently and in collaboration with advising colleagues.
- Contributes to the preparation of individualized cover letters and letter packets for applicants to health professional programs.
- Assists in planning and implementing co-curricular activities, workshops, and programs, as assigned.
- Coordinates specific office operations for the Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Advising Office; processes necessary paperwork, records (including student records), and files required to support the office’s programs.
- Advises or co-advises student organizations affiliated with pre-health fields.
- Provides administrative and technical support as well as program logistics for program staff and students.
- Responds to inquiries from students, faculty, and others regarding program policies, procedures, and requirements, making referrals as appropriate.
- Monitors student progress and compliance with program requirements and standards.
- Assists in writing and/or editing informational and publicity materials, electronic and print.
- Provides information regarding various specialized programs as well as requirements and opportunities relevant to health professional preparation.
- Serves as a resource for students, faculty, parents, and others having questions about programs or academic policies; makes referrals as appropriate.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Four to five years of experience working with people in a professional advising and counseling role or related experience advising, mentoring, or counseling people.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple short- and long-term projects.
- Experience working with diverse, underrepresented, and/or first-generation students.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to successfully advise students and interpret educational records and data related to student academic performance and progress.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours as needed to support program events and activities.
- Master’s degree.
- Professional work experience in a college or university setting.
- Experience working with undergraduate students in an advising capacity.
- Experience working in health professions advising or a related area.
- Experience supervising student staff.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot problems that interfere with a student's academic progress and experience in working to resolve them effectively.
- Proven ability to work under limited supervision and to solve problems and approach challenges in a flexible and/or creative way.
This is a permanent full-time position.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs
, Staff Positions, Search #496713 to upload a resume, cover letter,
and contact information for three (3) professional references.
In your cover letter, please explain how you meet the minimum qualifications of the position as well as any preferred qualifications. Please note that references will not be contacted until later in the search process, after discussion with applicants. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Include the search number on all correspondence.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on September 2, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Aug 12 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 02 2022 Eastern Daylight Time