Search #: 496714
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Student Programs and Services
The University of Connecticut Enrichment Programs unit seeks to add a Pre-Professional Programs Advisor to its staff team serving pre-professional students and alumni. This position may accommodate a full (100%) telecommuting work schedule, subject to authorization and University policy. Under the supervision of the Director and Assistant Director of Pre-Professional Advising, the Pre-Professional Programs Advisor will support and advise students and alumni interested in pursuing careers in the health and/or law professions. The Advisor will also contribute to the preparation of individualized cover letters and letter packets for applicants to health professional programs.
The Program Advisor will be an appropriately experienced higher education professional, well informed about the range of undergraduate courses and programs available at the University. They must be an effective problem solver, accustomed to working independently, and capable of prioritizing and completing administrative tasks related to academic programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises students and alumni interested in health and/or law careers, including medicine and dental medicine, both independently and in collaboration with advising colleagues, coordinating the office’s efforts to serve alumni and students at UConn’s regional campuses.
- Contributes to the preparation of individualized cover letters and letter packets for applicants to health professional programs.
- Assumes primary responsibility for assigned workshops and programming elements (e.g., Husky Health Foundations, Chat with Alumni, Application Elements, Group Advising, Dinner with Doctors).
- Assists in planning and implementing additional co-curricular activities, workshops, and programs, as assigned.
- Coordinates specific office operations for the Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Advising Office; processes necessary paperwork, records (including student records), and files required to support the office’s programs.
- Advises or co-advises student organizations affiliated with pre-health fields.
- Provides administrative and technical support as well as program logistics for program staff and students.
- Responds to inquiries from students, faculty, and others regarding program policies, procedures, and requirements, making referrals as appropriate.
- Monitors student progress and compliance with program requirements and standards.
- Assists in writing and/or editing informational and publicity materials, electronic and print.
- Provides information regarding various specialized programs as well as requirements and opportunities relevant to health professional preparation.
- Serves as a resource for students, faculty, parents, and others that have questions about programs or academic policies; makes referrals as appropriate.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, or a related field.
- 5 years of experience working with students in a professional advising and counseling role. 1 year of experience must be serving as an advanced team member.
- Demonstrated experience planning, coordinating, and implementing program services and activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple short- and long-term projects.
- Proven ability to manage and perform administrative functions.
- Experience working with diverse, underrepresented, and/or first-generation students.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to successfully advise undergraduate students and interpret educational records and data related to student academic performance and progress.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours as needed to support program events and activities.
- Master’s degree.
- Professional work experience at a large university.
- Experience working with high-achieving students in an advising capacity.
- Work experience in a health-related and/or legal field.
- Professional experience with supervision of student staff.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot problems that interfere with the student's academic progress and experience in working to resolve them effectively.
- Experience with assessment and program evaluation.
- Proven ability to work independently and solve problems and approach challenges in a flexible and/or creative way.
This is a permanent full-time position. This position may accommodate a full (100%) telecommuting work schedule, subject to authorization and University policy. Questions about the telecommuting schedule for this position may be directed to Caroline McGuire at [email protected].
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496714 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. In your cover letter, please explain how you meet the minimum qualifications of the position as well as any preferred qualifications. Please note that references will not be contacted until later in the search process, after discussion with applicants. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please include the search number on all correspondence.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on September 2, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Aug 12 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 02 2022 Eastern Daylight Time