Athletics Graduate Assistant (Internal)
$0.00 per year
Athletics Graduate Assistant (Internal)
Accepting applicationsAbout this position
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO APPLICANTS BY REFERRAL ONLY.
The Graduate Assistant (GA) will support the work of the Department of Athletics by providing student-centered services that foster the growth and development of SWU students in a manner consistent with the university’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values. The GA provides primary support to the specific sport Programs, plus additional duties within the Department of Athletics. Reports to head coach and director of athletics. Compensation equivalent is 50% tuition waiver for available SWU online graduate degree program. This position is open to internally referred applicants only.
- Provide assistance during practices and meets.
- Prepare and plan practice sessions and event plans with the head coach.
- Coordinate with the head coach on recruitment of qualified student-athletes that will contribute to the university and to the sport program.
- Assist with fundraising activities as requested.
- Monitor student-athlete academic success in collaboration with PASS and FAR.
- Mentoring of student-athletes in spiritual and personal growth.
- Other administrative duties include travel arrangements, scheduling of contests, and equipment management.
- Other duties, as assigned, by the head coach.
- Collaborates with other Student Life departments and the broader campus community to facilitate a seamless educational experience and foster holistic student development. This will include university committee assignments.
- Attend team, Department of Athletics, and Student Life meetings when not in conflict with academic requirements.
- Duties, as assigned, by the Director of Athletics
About our ideal candidate
- A bachelor’s degree is required. Experience as an intercollegiate athlete within the specific sport is preferred. Must have an established record of excellent mentoring relationships with students, collegial relationships with staff and faculty. Excellent event management skills and strong organizational and administrative skills are also necessary.
- Graduate assistants must be enrolled full-time in a Southern Wesleyan University graduate program.
Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations. A strong and vibrant Christian faith that connects to the mission, vision, and values of the university is required
- Physical/Environmental Requirements
- Visual acuity necessary to do editorial work, proof documents, and manage files.
- Requires ability to engage in outside activity and, occasionally, inside. May require lifting of objects up to 40 pounds.
- Requires ability to work a flexible schedule and to travel.
BEFORE YOU APPLY
Applicants should be prepared to provide a brief written personal Christian testimony. In addition, please be prepared to provide the following digital documents:Cover letterResume
About us Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of Southern Wesleyan University to provide and maintain equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions (including but not limited to lactation), disability, genetic information, veteran-status, age, or any other classification protected by state, federal, or local law, unless a bona fide occupational qualification applies. The University reserves its right to operate as a church-related institution and to develop policies consistent with the religious tenets of its sponsoring denomination, The Wesleyan Church, and is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Section 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended). University Mission
Southern Wesleyan University is a Christ-centered, student-focused learning community devoted to transforming lives by challenging students to be dedicated scholars and servant-leaders who impact the world for Christ. In addition to specific academic requirements, SWU provides quality undergraduate and graduate programs in a distinctively Christian environment that fosters the integration of faith, learning, and living. Candidates for employment must support the Christian mission of the university and give evidence of successful professional experience, mature faith, and consistent Christian lifestyle.
To view the university's profile, visit About SWU. To learn more about The Wesleyan Church--it's history, beliefs, and position on current issues--visit wesleyan.org/about. Applicants for employment are encouraged to view the following links providing additional information about how our campus community lives out these beliefs and practices.
Statement of Purpose
University Core Values
Christ Centered: Purpose, Scholarship, Community, Transformation
- Purpose: A specific calling for a unique role in our world.
- Scholarship: Academic excellence in an innovative faith-centered environment.
- Community: Belonging to a connected and compassionate body of learners.
- Transformation: Christ’s redemptive work in individual and corporate life.
We believe that every individual has a God given purpose, brought to fruition by the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit and the challenge of scholarship. As we participate in a consecrated community of learners we are continuously transformed into the image of Christ both individually and corporately.