Access Services Library Technician and Overnight SupervisorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$53,152 (plus 10% shift premium for eligible hours)Work Schedule:
Sunday -Thursday 10:30pm - 7:30am. Occasional additional weekend or evening hours and other schedule flexibility required.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCAbout the Department:
The NC State University Libraries supports and enables research and learning by providing collections, services, spaces, and technologies for the NC State community and its partners. The Libraries is committed to being a powerful competitive advantage for the university in every aspect of its mission, including attracting and retaining the best faculty and students and promoting their success. To that end, we foster a culture of creativity, diversity, and innovation. The library system consists of the D. H. Hill Jr. Library, the James B. Hunt Jr. Library, and branch libraries for design, natural resources, and veterinary medicine.Essential Job Duties:
Access Services, part of the Student Success division, develops and implements services that connect users with experts, collections, technology, and spaces. The department manages the Ask Us service points at the Hill and Hunt Libraries, providing answers in person, through chat, and throughout the Libraries, whether it’s finding a book or signing up for a technology consultation. Ask Us lending includes a textbook program with a copy of every required textbook and a technology lending service that includes laptops, cameras, circuit kits, virtual reality devices, and more. Access Services manages the 5.3-million-volume collection on open shelves and in the bookBot, manages print and electronic reserves, and supports the discovery and delivery of resources, borrowing books and articles from libraries all over the world for the NC State community.
This position serves as Access Services Library Technician and Overnight Shift Supervisor for the NC State University Libraries.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversees information and circulation services at Ask Us service points, including opening and closing procedures, fast-paced environments where people go to get help whether it’s finding a book or signing up for a tech consultation.
- Serves as a communication node across shifts and library locations to ensure smooth and consistent operations at the Libraries.
- Organizes projects between libraries, may plan complex moves of library materials, analyze space needs and budget constraints, meeting deadlines, and refining processes.
- Helps to organize and maintain the print and technology collection and ensure its usability.
- Performs service evaluation, trend analysis, workflow creation, development of documentation, and staff training.
- Trains and may supervise staff and, with others, manages a diverse and high-performing student employee community through recruiting, scheduling, training, and supervision.
- Monitors and troubleshoots patron computing, printing, and staff computing tools; independently and creatively resolves problems for clients; and assists in ensuring the safety and security of people and materials in a high-volume, high-technology research library.
- Has a high degree of autonomy and navigates ambiguity to enable excellent user experiences and make the hard things easy for the NC State community.
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience in library services, office support, or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Other Required Qualifications:
- Significant and relevant experience providing public/customer service
- Demonstrated understanding of the current information and learning needs of students in a college/university setting
- Ability to meet high service standards in all interactions (in-person, by telephone, via e-mail or online)
- Commitment to fostering an environment of equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Ability to work effectively in a high-volume, high-demand environment, and to manage multiple, sometimes competing, priorities
- Familiarity with the content of collections and resources provided in a modern library environment sufficient to assist students and faculty with research-related questions
- Demonstrated ability to locate, analyze, and interpret data contained in complex online systems
- Ability to interpret and explain a wide variety of policies and procedures, varying from basic to complex, to the public, and to exercise independent judgment
- Working knowledge of integrated library systems and experience working with library classification systems
- Proficiency with a variety of current consumer electronics products such as digital cameras, tablets, projectors, and laptops
- Computing skills, including familiarity across operating systems and fluency with all office applications
- Attention to detail, time-management, and organizational skills
- Very good written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong problem-solving skills
Required License or Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two or more years of relevant experience
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
08/10/2022Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Along with your application, please include your cover letter, resume, contact information for four current professional references.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
University Library TechnicianPosition Classification Band Level:
AdvancedPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200- $60,817Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
250101 - NCSU LibrariesAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.