NC Cooperative ExtensionJob City & State:
Manteo, NCDepartment :
NCCE - Dare CountyWorking Title:
Extension Program Assistant/AssociateAppointment:
12 Month RecurringJob Type:
Full-Time - PermanentFTE:
1Essential Job Duties:
North Carolina Cooperative Extension gives our residents easy access to the resources and expertise of the NC State University and NC A&T State University. Through educational programs, publications and events, Cooperative Extension agents deliver unbiased, research-based information to North Carolina citizens.Other Work/Responsibilities:
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
Dare County is located in northeastern North Carolina along the Atlantic seaboard. Dare County stretches along almost 110 miles of shoreline known as the Outer Banks. The County seat at Manteo is approximately 200 miles east of Raleigh, the State capital, and 90 miles south of Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Virginia, metropolitan area. The County contains much of what is known as North Carolina’s “Outer Banks” resort and vacation areas and contains approximately two-thirds of the North Carolina coastline. Six municipalities are located within the county: Duck, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Manteo, Nags Head and Southern Shores. Dare County has a permanent population of approximately 37,000 residents.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe individual in this position will provide leadership and support for the horticulture programs in Dare County in both the areas of commercial and consumer horticulture, including coordination of the Dare County Extension Master Gardener volunteers and program. Working alongside the county agent, this role will provide relevant, educational programming and training, as well as proactively conduct needs assessments and program evaluations.Identify if the Position is Mandatory / Essential / Key:
Dare County has a strong and thriving Extension Master Gardener volunteer program. The 75 Master Gardener volunteers regularly assist at the Dare County Extension Center, maintain the Outer Banks Arboretum, and have responded to more than 10,539 contacts in the past 18 months and provided hours of service equaling over $190,000. The group provides educational programs for its members as well as delivers programs throughout the community.
The person in this position will also be responsible for connecting with the commercial landscape industry in the county to develop a professional network with the goal to provide educational resources and opportunities. This includes assisting with pesticide education as it pertains to the green industry, utilizing innovative strategies for marketing, record keeping, and evaluating educational programs by showing measurable impacts.
Background knowledge of horticulture subject matter is required with preferred competence in turf, trees and shrubs, landscape design, and equipment safety along with excellent people and communication skills, be computer literate and have the necessary experience to lead a strong program in the designated areas of focus. This position calls for strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and dates and to help keep others organized as well.
Under general supervision, the coordinator will work with the Dare County team of staff and volunteers to train, recruit, and coordinate volunteer certification and recertification activities for the Dare County Extension Master Gardeners. Responsibilities include planning and implementing the Master Gardener education and volunteer service program in Dare County, NC within the Land Grant mission of North Carolina State University. The coordinator facilitates Master Gardener classes, organizes special program committees, provides technical support, and implements horticulture education-related events for the public. In addition, the coordinator will seek beneficial partnerships to engage citizens in education in areas such as community gardens, sustainable landscapes, urban agriculture, and local
● Recruit, screen and identify individuals to become interns and new Master Gardeners● Organize new Master Gardener classes● Engage current volunteers for ongoing educational opportunities and to sufficient staff all activities● Oversee and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events.● Maintain complete files and provide support for all Dare County Extension program volunteers including the volunteer reporting database.● Maintain all effective correspondence for the Master Gardener program with volunteers, administration, Council, and the community. Routinely advises the County Extension Director and Council of program impacts and needs.● Adheres to all Director and Council directives regarding policies and procedures.● Work with the Master Gardener Steering Committee and other volunteer committees to carry out county-sponsored activities, events, marketing, and social media in compliance with state and local Council policy and guidelines.● Attends Extension Master Gardener Association and General meetings* Works with Master Gardener Executive and Steering Committees to ensure proper accounting practices for all external funds procured.
● Provide educational outreach to the general public through coordinating local conferences, webinars, and speakers in subject areas such as urban agriculture, local foods, and community gardens.● Coordinate educational opportunities with the commercial horticulture industry in Dare County● Encouraged to seek out funding opportunities and obtain contracts to expand Extension horticulture education offerings.
● Manage and schedule Dare County Extension Master Gardener’s social media page with regular content● Create community partnerships to foster and enhance program support and development● Connect with and build a network of Dare County horticulture industry members● Distribute news releases about the Master Gardener program in cooperation with the Extension office.● Post events on the Extension Calendar and report attendance (including Civil Rights).● Support Master Gardener committees in coordinating efforts to schedule educational events for the public.● Maintain the NCSU Extension and Outreach – Dare County Master Gardener website.● Develop Master Gardener displays for the office and for external events.● Ensure adequate branding of NC State Extension and Master Gardener program and confirm that materials are in accordance with the Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Visual Identity Guide.
Not ApplicableWork Schedule:
8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Weekends when needed and occasional travelMinimum Experience/Education:
The minimum requirement for employment with the North Carolina Cooperative Extension (NCCE) is a high-school diploma or equivalent. Advanced training in related fields is preferred.Department Required Skills:
This position will include other job responsibilities such as maintaining the social media efforts of the Dare County Extension office.Must be proficient in Excel and Word software programs.Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education:
● Knowledge of horticulture including but not limited to warm-season turf, landscaping, native plants, perennial plants, trees, and shrubs● Effective and timely communication skills, ability to utilize a variety of communication styles and modalities (phone, email, social media), including conflict management.● Demonstrated leadership & organizational skills, capable of delegating tasks and coordinating volunteer efforts.● Working operational knowledge of audio-visual equipment and office machinery locally and off-site.● Implements professionalism in client and volunteer confidentiality;● Ability to work independently, and as a team with office staff and community partners (existing and new).● Able to lift and move 40 pounds.
● Knowledge in horticulture, botany, plant science, agriculture● Volunteer coordination/management experience is a must● Must be adaptable under stress when confronted with persons acting under stress● Ability to exercise considerable tact and courtesy in contact with all audiences and ages as well as Extension volunteers and coworkers● Event Coordination● Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or equivalent● Proficient in online meeting platforms: Zoom, Google Meet or equivalent● Social media marketing experienceRequired License or Certification:
● Excellent people skills● Adobe Premiere Rush● Knowledge in Excel and Work● Associate’s degree or graduate certificate in some aspect of leadership or volunteer management or agricultural or horticultural sciences or one or two years of experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities preferred● Establishing community partnerships and networks● Experience with event planning● Experience facilitating educational programs
N/AValid NC Driver's License required?:
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoAnticipated Hiring Range:
$35,000 - $37,000Internal Transfer Only:
NoJob Open Date:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.