STEM Communications SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range:
$51,000 - $56,000Work Schedule:
Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pmJob Location:
North Carolina Space GrantAbout the Department:
NC Space Grant utilizes STEM opportunities to engage and inspire North Carolinians and to build a diverse future STEM workforce. In order to achieve those aims, we create and support unique opportunities for students, faculty, educators and the public to participate in space-related research, education and outreach programs. The program partners with industries across the state to identify specific aerospace-related industry technical and workforce training needs. The program is part of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program. To review the program and its organization, please see NC Space Grant’s web page: ncspacegrant.org.Essential Job Duties:
This position shares results of STEM – science, technology, engineering and mathematics – faculty and student projects, and education outreach efforts funded or administered by North Carolina Space Grant. This includes working with other team members, researchers and community partners to present timely information through varied communication methods. These include, but are not limited to, printed and online resources, social media, reports for individual projects and the full program, videos, podcasts, newsletters, blog posts, program identity pieces, and educational materials. Other Responsibilities:
Duties include writing and editing, along with basic graphic design and other multimedia-content-management. The messages inform varied audiences and underscore the value and impacts of the interdisciplinary, statewide program. The position includes collaboration with the National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program network, and other local, state and national partners. The position is based in Raleigh, with some day and limited overnight travel required. Good driving record required.
- Preparing for and participating in events, including logistics, set-up, etc.
- Assisting colleagues in tasks as needed to support the overall programs.
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex scientific data and science and technology topics, and then to summarize those results into terms understandable to varied audiences.
- Ability to interview a wide range of subjects, in person, or via phone or online communications, for stories or other communication projects.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and experience with other Microsoft products, including Excel.
- Experience with the Google suite of applications.
- Experience with Canva, lnDesign or similar graphics software, as well as Adobe Creative elements including Photoshop and Acrobat.
- Experience in a variety of social media platforms with identified success stories.
- Experience in evaluating communications products and strategies to ensure best use of time and funding, return on investment, community use, etc.
- Experience in WordPress and/or other online content management systems.
- Ability to work well under pressure of multiple deadlines by prioritizing multiple work responsibilities.
- Ability to work within key partners in multiple N.C. locations, and within networks that include many states.
Required License or Certification:
- Experience in science communication or outreach.
- Five years professional experience, or a combination of an advanced degree and work experience, in science or technology fields; or in communications arenas that could include but not be limited to journalism, marketing or public affairs; or scientific outreach. At least one year should have had a science communications focus that can be demonstrated in product samples.
- Basic understanding of GIS and mapping software and its uses in communications products.
- Experience in developing successful online, multimedia, and/or video and audio communications products, series or campaigns.
Valid NC Driver's License required:
- This position requires the incumbent to travel to various sites to accomplish the core function of the work. A valid driver’s license is required within 30 days of employment.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
08/10/2022Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Please include as attachments a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references.Position Number:
Also provide two product samples. One should be a short writing sample for a general audience; and the second (Other Document 1) could be a piece written for a technical/scientific audience or a link to a multimedia product. For each sample, provide background regarding the audience, if you had partners, and the success for the product.
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Public Communication SpecialistPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $83,965Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
1.0Mandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
062601 - NC Space GrantAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.