The Assistant Vice President of Finance (AVP) serves as the operational touchpoint for budget formulation and execution, capital planning and budgeting, financial internal controls and risk management, audit preparation, and managing the Budget and Finance functions. The position requires a combination of leadership acumen, financial skillset, and analytical decision making. The AVP of Finance serves as the controller while working for and closely with the Vice President of Finance and Operations who also serves as the CFO and COO for the College. The AVP will develop and implement strategies and procedures that will ensure the financial viability of the College, enabling William Jewell College to continue to advance its educational mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize and supervise the Budget and Finance staff to effectively manage the College’s financial resources, including complete cash position; monitor cash/liquidity; collect, concentrate, and disburse; research and reconcile.
- Works closely with the Vice President of Finance and Operations to ensure effective risk management and internal controls.
- Lead development of the annual and two-year budget projection using historical trends and the forward alignment of strategic plan initiatives.
- Collaborates with key campus personnel, annually updates, and reports out on the 5-year capital budget.
- Aligns with the Assistant Vice President for Student Financial Services for student account management, coordinating federal and state financial aid programs, and use strategy for institutional financial assistance.
- Ensures accurate and timely general accounting of financial activity, establish, and maintain procedures for accurate and timely receipt and payment of accounts.
- Work closely with external auditors and staff to ensure timely and accurate completion of required audits.
- Supports the activities of the Audit Committee and Finance, Capital Planning and Investment Committee and ensures accurate meeting minutes and follow-up of required actions.
- Oversee the College’s comprehensive insurance program and filing of Form 990.
- Establish, direct and maintain accounting procedures and financial records that reflect generally accepted accounting principles and standards.
- Ensures existing and new staff are properly trained to successfully perform their responsibilities.
- Upgrade, implement, and maintain effective software for financial management.
- Provide guidance to other departments and College employees in the interpretation and effective implementation of financial policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain a spirit of collaboration and cooperation with internal and external constituents.
- Advances initiatives identified in the College’s Strategic Financial Plan 2025
- Perform other related responsibilities as directed by the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Business, or related field, or Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Five years’ full-time experience in a professional accounting and/or financial analytical position with a minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent analytical, accounting and technology skills.
- Highly organized with an ability to effectively multi-task.
- Ability to lead, train and motivate staff.
- Must work collaboratively and communicate effectively with internal and external constituents.
- Experience in higher education a plus.
- Normal office environment.
- Flexible work environment (multi-modal)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents through the posting link
- Letter of application
- Salary Requirements – in the online application
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately, opened until filled.
All final candidates must successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: We educate our community to ask reflective questions, apply critical thought, and act with purpose.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer.