Executive Director, Human ResourcesPosition Type:
100%Job Description Summary:
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for overseeing the Office of Human Resources. The position reports to the Associate Vice President of Finance and Human Resources. Specific Duties:
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you’re passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
- Participates proactively and collaboratively to further the University’s mission and to advance the University’s strategic plan through strategic thinking, leadership of the Office of Human Resources staff, outreach to campus members, engagement with senior leaders, creative thinking and problem solving, initiative, and active participation in the life of the University.
- Oversees, plans, organizes, directs, integrates, and evaluates the Human Resources Department programs, projects, activities, and operations of the University including administrative and staff benefits administration, compensation, employment, labor relations, training and development, problem resolution, formulation and administration of personnel policies and procedures, and government compliance and safety.
- Develops strategies to articulate and promote the rewards of working at University of La Verne and to position the university as an employer of choice. Develops strategies to address talent gaps.
- Monitors long-term plans, goals, and objectives focused on achieving the department’s mission and priorities; co-manages and co-directs the development, implementation, and evaluation of plans, policies, systems, and procedures to achieve department’s annual goals and work standards with the Associate Director of Business Analytics and Strategic Planning, Training & Development.
- Supervises, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with assigned employees to correct deficiencies; and implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Plans and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; establishes performance requirements and personal development targets; regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; recommends compensation and other rewards to recognize performance; and recommends disciplinary action, up to and including termination, in accordance with the University policies and procedures.
- Develops and retains highly competent, customer service-oriented staff through the selection, compensation, training, and day-to-day management practices that support the University’s mission and values.
- Advises administration and supervisors on employee relations matters including grievance and disciplinary procedures and actions, complaints, work relationships, performance and other related matters.
- Directs the recruitment activities for faculty, staff, and administrative personnel; develops advertisements, in-house flyers, and mailings; conducts reference checks; screens applications and resumes and respond to applicants; serves on various search committees as directed.
- Directs and coordinates the position control process for University personnel; reviews and updates position descriptions.
- Monitors the University interviewing and selection processes of employees and recommends transfers, reassignments, terminations; responds to protests; reviews unemployment insurance claims; directs the performance appraisal process for staff and administrative personnel.
- Administers the compensation program for administration and staff; directs job analysis review process and participates in compensation studies; coordinates insurance of employment contracts and staff letters.
- Formulates, interprets, and administers personnel regulations, policies and contractual agreements; develops and distributes employee handbooks; conducts a variety of workshops and seminars related to personnel issues and related laws.
- Administers the benefits program for University employees; communicates with insurance brokers and retirement providers; negotiates with carriers; directs the insurance renewal and open enrollment process; provides information to employees related to insurance, benefit and retirement changes; ensures timely transmittal of premiums and employer contributions to providers.
- Directs the University’s Injury Prevention Program; monitors the worker’s compensation program; communicates with vendors related to workers compensation claims; maintains related records as required; conducts safety meetings as necessary.
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and laws related to benefits administration in colleges and universities; recommends policy and program alternatives as necessary; serves as Benefits Committee chairperson.
- Assures compliance with personnel related laws, rules and regulations, including Fair Labor Standards Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, OSHA, ERISA and others.
- Communicates with other administrators, University personnel and contractors to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information.
- Provides staff assistance to cabinet members and University personnel under the direction of the AVP of Finance and HR; completes special projects as assigned; represents the University at various meetings and events; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Maintains current knowledge of new trends and innovations in the field of human resources; attends and participates in professional group meetings; participates in professional development activities; reads publications relevant to area of assignment.
- Monitors developments in areas of responsibility and analyzes proposed state and federal law and regulations and court decisions for their impact on University practices and operation.
- Serves as the University human resources representative on various committees; explains, justifies, and defends assigned programs, policies and activities; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues; responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, human resources, organizational development, psychology or a related field.
- HR leadership experience in a complex environment encompassing multiple specialties; ten years of which are in a managerial or supervisory capacity of exempt-level employees
- Leadership skills and experience in making decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, coaching and developing professional level exempt and non-exempt staff and determining, setting and achieving unit goals.
- Experience with and understanding of labor, employment laws, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of recruitment and retention; employee relations; policy administration; training and organizational development; and performance management practices required
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing teams using strong customer-centric and results-oriented support services.
- Highly effective decision-making, problem solving, critical thinking, project management and organizational leadership skills.
- Demonstrated written analysis and oral presentation experience with all level s of management. Highly effective communication and negotiation skills.
- Masters’ Degree
- Human Resources SHRM or PHR Certification
- Human Resources Experience Working in Higher Education
- Knowledge of Banner HR and PeopleAdmin
- Knowledge of Title IX and ATIXA Certification
Salary will be commensurate with experience and internal equity. Benefits include a comprehensive health and wellness plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse, and dependent children, a generous contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan, and a generous time off plan.Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of a background check and employment verification.Location:
La Verne Central CampusNumber of Vacancies:
2018-190743SAOpen Until Filled: