Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL You are invited to submit an application to be considered for a position with more than one opening. The number of positions varies depending on the needs of the department.
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati puts education into action, ranking among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to more than 47,000 students, 10,500 faculty and staff and 330,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.” With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, worldwide leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 athletic conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.6 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion. At UC, today’s possibilities spark tomorrow’s reality.Job Overview
As one of the oldest medical schools in the country, the UC College of Medicine has a reputation for training best-in-class health care professionals and developing cutting-edge procedures and research that improves the health and clinical care of patients. Applications are invited for a post-doctoral fellow position the laboratory of Dr. Rajat Madan at the University of Cincinnati. Our laboratory has broad interest in host and pathogenic determinants of disease severity after Clostridiodes difficile
infection (CDI). The current lab projects are focused on: Examining the role of neutrophil heterogeneity and host genetics in CDI pathogenesis; Determining regulation of CDI severity by the pro-inflammatory cytokine, Macrophage Inhibitory Factor; and Investigating the effects of bile acid metabolites on CDI pathogenesis. The position will provide training opportunities for mucosal immunology, microbiology and learning various animal models of CDI. Candidates must be self-motivated and have a record of accomplishment. Strong organizational skills are necessary. Post-doctoral fellows will be expected to be able to function well in a team and mentor students in the lab. Additionally, the incumbent will conduct research and/or analyze research data and ensure that all experiments are appropriately conducted following the policies and procedures of the University of Cincinnati. Positions are temporary appointments as a research trainee.Essential Functions
- Conduct research experiments in a particular field within the pre-determined research scope and methodology.
- Gather and analyze data and develop new ideas that promote current research.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, manuscripts and presentations of research results.
- Participate/assist in manuscript writing for publication in scientific journals and/or presentation; assist in grant writing.
- Keep informed of developments in field to maintain and enhance professional expertise.
- Lab maintenance, including equipment maintenance and ordering of supplies, as needed.
- Teach techniques to others, train, and mentor junior research staff.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities.
- Play an active role in seeking career and research advice, both from the faculty supervisor and from other faculty members as well.
- Perform related duties based on departmental need. This job description can be changed at any time.
Doctoral Degree in molecular biology, microbiology or related field, or the recognized terminal degree, or the foreign equivalent.Required Experience
Additional Qualifications Considered
- In-depth knowledge of specialized field, process or discipline.
- May require experience with specialized software programs.
Physical Requirements/Work EnvironmentSitting - ContinuouslyCompensation and Benefits
- Expertise in animal handling, immunology techniques are preferred.
- Preference will be given to individuals with expertise in R/python programming and large data set analysis.
- Experience in writing scientific manuscripts and research proposal is preferred.
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP). The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
REQ: 80894 SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN