Retention CounselorPosition Number::
000398Full-Time Or Part-Time::
EHRA (Non-Faculty) Job Category::
Commensurate with Education and ExperienceOverall Position Competency::
Flat RateDescription of primary duties and responsibilities::
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:Description of Work Continued::
The Department of Athletics provides equitable opportunities and support for male and female students to participate in 11 intercollegiate athletic programs and to compete successfully in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II. The mission of the Fayetteville State University Intercollegiate Athletics Program is to bring positive recognition to Fayetteville State University through a program built on concepts such as excellence, integrity, and enthusiasm. The mission is integral to the university’s educational mission to provide the highest quality learning experiences and operates under the principles of amateur athletics and fair play, as established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).All activities hold paramount the academic, personal and physical welfare of the student-athlete, and emphasize physical fitness, self-discipline, teamwork, leadership, and the highest standards of ethics, sportsmanship, and personal performance. Student-athletes are representative of the general student population and are afforded similar opportunities and treatment. Programs, staff, faculty and facilities reflect the excellence of the institution and contribute to the quality of campus life.
Primary Purpose of the Position:Minimum Education And Experience Requirements::
The Retention Counselor provides academic and support services for student-athletes to promote retention and academic success. The Retention Counselor will engage student-athletes in a variety of student services, activities to ensure progression towards graduation leading to career or graduate school goals working in collaboration with faculty, various student support services professionals and students of FSU. The position supports an integrated service delivery to boosts engagement, progress and success and monitors the student experience.
1. Assess assigned students’ academic and non-academic preparation for college and construct in consultation with students an academic success plan incorporating academic support, academic advisement, and academic enrichment activities, as well as strategies to address personal, social, career, and financial well-being.
2. Administer advising and student success initiatives to support student-athlete persistence.
3. Help students develop sound instructional and study skills that perpetuate academic success.
4. Assist athletics office with compliance on NCAA rules.
5. Mentor assigned students and assist them in selecting and declaring a major.
6. Monitor assigned student progress and intervene as needed with students in academic difficulty, referring students to university resources as needed.
7. Monitor assigned students’ progress toward mastery of core student learning outcomes.
8. Collaborate with colleagues in the Bronco One Stop, Advising Center and throughout the university to design, implement, and assess programs to assist students in their successful transition.
9. Organize the planning and development of the Freshman Seminar and University Studies courses and assist in the scheduling of these courses; plan and implement the common activities of these courses—assessments, assignments, presentations and activities involving other units, etc.; collect information on at-risk students and follow-up appropriate university personnel.
10. Assist in the planning and implementation of special events, such as New Student Orientation and other campus events to support athletes.
11. Provide counseling to students with personal issues that may interfere with academic success.
12. Support retention efforts through the utilization of technology to enhance student success that guides continuous improvement
Hold an earned graduate degree in higher education or other education related area. Must have experience working with student success programs in a higher education setting.Open Until Filled::
YesAdditional Information for Applicants:
All new employees are required to have listed credentials/degrees verified prior to employment. Transcripts should be provided for all earned degrees and/or the degree which is being used to satisfy credential/qualification requirements. Transcript requests are the responsibility of the candidate.EEO Statement::
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).Veteran's Statement:
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.Quick Link::