Assistant Professor of PracticeJob Posting Number:
College of Applied ArtsDepartment/School:
School of Family & Consumer SciencesPosition Description :
The Fashion Merchandising (FM) Program at Texas State University invites applications for a full-time tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor of Practice in the area of Visual Communication. This is a 9-month appointment with the possibility of summer teaching. All positions are subject to availability of funds.Required Qualifications:
As a part of the School of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS), the FM program enrolls approximately 375 majors with eight full-time faculty serving the program as well as the interdisciplinary MS/MA program in Sustainability Studies. Our graduates will be among the next generation of product development managers, innovation leaders, buyers, planners and allocators, retail and merchandising managers, and consumer studies professionals.
Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate courses; mentoring undergraduate students; advising student organizations; service in the program and at the university is also expected. The successful candidate will also possess excellent communication skills, high standards and professional ethics, and be a team player.
- Earned M.B.A., M.F.A., M.Ed., M.S., or M.A. in Visual Communication, Graphic Design, Fashion Design or related field;
- Extensive experience (as the instructor of record) teaching undergraduate students at the collegiate level;
- Demonstrates current and contemporary competence in professional practice with more than 5 years full-time experience in industry, professional practice, or management capacity ;
- Evidence of engagement in scholarship through professional presentations, publications, or similar contributions;
- Demonstrates leadership in the relevant professional organizations;
- Experience mentoring undergraduate students;
- Ability to teach industry software including the Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience teaching courses in at least two of the following areas:
- Aesthetics/Principles of Design/ Visual Communication
- Visual Merchandising
- Fashion Trends
- Design History
- Experience in program coordination
- Track record of service at the department and university level
- Ability to integrate diversity/multicultural perspective into teaching
- Teaching and/or service awards
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/39207. Type of Position:
To ensure full consideration, please submit the following by August 16, 2022:
1) Cover letter: a letter of application that addresses the required and preferred qualifications;
2) Curriculum vitae;
3) Statement of teaching philosophy; and
4) Contact information for three references.
Candidates selected for interviews will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.
Inquiries about this position may be directed to the Search Committee Chair at [email protected].
Full-TimeProposed Start Date:
Fall 2023Posting Date:
08/05/2022Full Consideration Date:
08/16/2022Open Until Filled?:
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.Reasonable Accommodation:
If you experience accessibility issues or require alternative formatting during the application process due to a disability or underlying condition, we request that you contact Faculty and Academic Resources for assistance at [email protected]. A representative from Faculty and Academic Resources will respond to you as soon as is possible.Record Checks and Verifications:
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.Eligibility for Employment:
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Tobacco-Free Campus:
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.Why Work at Texas State?:
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Link: