The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Sr Python/Django Full Stack Web Application Developer, Wharton (Hybrid-Eligible)Job Profile Title
Information Technology Senior Project LeaderJob Description Summary
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is looking for an enthusiastic, talented, and self-motivated IT professional to join our Web Team. We have a great work environment and expect you to bring not only your amazing skills, but your positive attitude to the table. We are seeking a Web Application Developer to build the next generation of financial research tools and platforms. We work with Django and PostgreSQL to help financial researchers at 500+ of the world’s leading business schools work with 2PiB of data from an extensive and ever-growing list of data vendors. We have in-house data science and engineering, our own high-performance computing environment split on-premises and in the cloud, and are supported by a team of finance PhDs. We have a lot of neat tools, a worthwhile mission, and we build cool stuff all day long. Come on in; the water’s warm.Job Description
- Build and maintain Web Applications using modern web frameworks, including Django and the Wagtail CMS, as well as custom HTML, JS, and Python code.
- Develop and maintain middleware including access control, queueing, search, and logging systems.
- Develop and maintain data models in PostgreSQL, Elastic, and other databases.
- Create and improve the navigability of, and linking between, financial data from internal sources and external vendors.
- Partner with subject matter experts, including faculty and Ph.D. researchers, to propose and develop novel financial research tools and applications.
- Build and maintain integrations with Jupyter, R Studio, and other data science platforms.
- Contribute to an efficient, well-documented code base that adheres to departmental and industry technical, quality assurance, and security standards.
- Continuously improve overall user experience, content strategy, accessibility, documentation, CI/CD, and testing solutions.
- Manage multiple simultaneous projects through all phases of the software development lifecycle (from discovery through to delivery, operation, and EOL), communicate with stakeholders, and fulfill requests on time and on budget.
- Organize and participate in code reviews, pair programming, and ongoing learning and exploration of new technologies.
- Act as a mentor and resource for others within WRDS and Wharton Computing.
- Provide tier three technical support to WRDS customers’ users.
- Share on-call responsibility for web-tier and related systems.
- A passion for technology and learning, and an interest in one or more areas of finance.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or another closely related field with five years minimum experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Well-developed written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, monitor, and evaluate the work of team members, and meet deadlines.
- Positive outlook and ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Object-Oriented Full Stack Web Development
- Extensive understanding of and experience with polymorphism, data structures, ORM, Relational and NoSQL Databases, Logging, Testing, MVC, REST, Graphs, responsive grids, and flexbox.
- Experience with software modeling and design, security best practices, distributed version control, unit and integration testing, application monitoring, developing on Linux, containerized development and deployment, and CI/CD
- Proficiency with many of Python, SQL, Jinja2, ES, JSX, SCSS, HTML, Markdown, YAML, JSON, UTF-8, XML, UML, and BPMN, or comparable languages.
- Experience with configuration management, change management, text search, federated auth, statistics, analytics, reporting, mobile, and SPA development, virtual DOMs, NLP, and ML are a plus but may be learned on the job.
Budgeted Pay Range:Job Location - City, State
$90,000 -- $115,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.Department / School
Wharton SchoolPay Range
$74,476.00 - $162,146.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay