Job no: 523114
Work type: Permanent Status Faculty
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:60355043 - AG-MARTIN
Ext Agent I - III
You Belong at a University that’s Leading the Way
The University of Florida (UF), the flagship university for the state of Florida, is a land grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment of inclusive excellence that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. Inclusive excellence is the active process of including and respecting everyone as we strive for excellence and equitable outcomes in all we do at the University of Florida. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
This full-time permanent status accruing Extension Agent will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Martin County. The successful candidate will lead through the design, implementation, and evaluation of positive youth development programs for youth and adult volunteers. The Agent’s comprehensive extension education program will be guided by an advisory committee that incorporates the needs of the county’s diverse population.
The candidate will be able to:
- Maintain an effective and diverse advisory committee to assist with extension program design, direction, and operation.
- Develop, conduct, coordinate, evaluate, and report on educational programs for youth ages 5 to 18 and volunteers.
- Target programs to reflect the area’s population diversity and unique educational needs using a variety of program marketing and delivery methods including in-person, site visit consultations, and deliberately focused virtual platforms such as webinars, videos, and social media.
- Develop volunteer management strategy to ensure program policies, enrollment, record keeping, risk management, and experiential learning procedures are updated and accurate.
- Develop community partnerships and work as a team with local volunteers, organizations, agencies, and UF/IFAS colleagues to promote positive youth development.
- Obtain financial resources to support programs and manage all components (e.g., policies, records, risk, communication, and accountability).
- Produce creative, scholarly works and audience-friendly publications.
UF/IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. UF/IFAS Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments with a mission of providing quality, relevant education, and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We employ 375 Extension Agents, and we have an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties. We attribute our success to a workforce that embraces the contributions of people of all backgrounds and ability levels. The Extension Agent will be a contributor to a community that provides space for innovation, creativity, collaboration, growth, and development for all.
Martin County (http://www.martin.fl.us) is located on the southeast Florida coast, bordered by St. Lucie County to the north, Palm Beach County to the south, and Okeechobee County to the west. Martin County Extension is part of the Southeast Extension District made up of twelve counties and the Seminole Tribe.
Employment is contingent on the results of a physical examination, a substance screening, and a national background screening.
In the event of an emergency, all employees are considered essential personnel and may be required to perform alternate duties at the county or district level.
Candidates must have the ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license, be able to work flexible hours, and the willingness to occasionally work long and irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
Commensurate with Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in youth development, education, community development/sociology, or a related field. We will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree will be earned by December 2022.
- Self-starting, energetic, and team-oriented.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, and innovativeness.
- Good organizational development and management skills.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships and work in teams.
- Ability to use information technology and apply social media to extension work.
- A commitment to positive and proactive customer service.
- Expertise in managing competing priorities and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- A master’s degree. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to continue to grow in your career. As such, we expect you to make at least 50% progress toward obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together for a higher goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for a diverse audience.
- A strong commitment to community.
- Evidence of collaborations, partnerships, and marketing with community agencies and groups.
- Experience working in multicultural settings; bilingual in English/Spanish.
- Experience with program management and communication using information technology, including social media.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply at https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/523114 by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this positionRésumé or Curriculum vitaeUnofficial copies of all transcripts (showing coursework) of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below). Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://forms.webservices.it.ufl.edu/ifashr/ifas-hr-previous-employment-form/ ).A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time. Applicants are responsible for sending the rating form link to their references.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.
Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 29 Jul 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 06 Sep 2022 Eastern Daylight Time