Macalester College’s Communications and Marketing department seeks to hire a full-time Social Media Specialist. This position implements social media strategy that supports Macalester’s digital communications efforts. The Social Media Specialist uses social media to share the stories of Macalester students, alumni, faculty, and staff; to promote college-sponsored events and programs; and to build connections between constituent groups and the college. This role monitors social media properties and identifies issues needing response; and works with the President and other campus communicators on social media strategy. The Social Media Specialist reports to the Director of Creative Services, and works closely with the Director of Digital Engagement and Public Affairs on monitoring and issues.
- Plans, prepares, and posts content to the college’s social media properties. Uses photography and videography to capture and share college life, including working with student employees to gather campus stories. Works to ensure consistency of messaging across multiple channels and to determine appropriate messaging strategies for each channel.
- Works with the President and other members of the senior leadership team on social media content planning. Prepares social media plans for key campus events and campaigns. Works in partnership with colleagues to plan paid digital campaigns.
- Manages and promotes Macalester’s social media aggregator. Monitors aggregator content to ensure messaging is consistent with established guidelines and standards.
- Practices regular social listening in spaces where key audiences are active. Identifies issues, elevates issues when appropriate, and prepares reactive responses.
- Establishes metrics, tracks social media influence measurements, and adjusts strategy based on those insights. Prepares reports to update staff on social media analytics and other insights.
- Researches new channels for relevance. Identifies trends and applies best practices related to social media channels, management tools, and content strategy.
- Collaborates and partners with college departments to ensure proper messaging and relevance for social media properties. Serves as a resource and consultant for campus colleagues regarding social media platforms, technical issues, and content planning.
- This position requires occasional work outside of traditional business hours for social media posting and monitoring.
- At least 2 years experience managing social media properties in a higher education, non-profit, agency, or corporate role; 3-5 years preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Ability to work creatively and collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Expertise in writing content for a variety of channels including social networking sites, broadcast email, blogs, forums, websites.
- Solid understanding of the social media landscape. Expert knowledge of social media channels and procedures for maintaining content on social platforms.
- Ability to embrace change and rapidly adapt to emerging trends in online communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including proofreading.
- Demonstrated experience in writing for the web and for social channels. Ability to adapt voice and style to message type and social channel.
- Ability to analyze metrics and prepare reports to track social media impact, e-communication effectiveness, and constituent engagement in social media spaces.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across teams, and independently in a team-based work setting.
- Proven success in managing multiple projects, meeting deadlines, adapting quickly to changing priorities, creative problem solving, and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficient office technology skills. Strong digital content production skills preferred including experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in video and audio editing and digital imagery desirable. Strong web production skills preferred including experience with a content management system and a basic understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Appreciation of the value of a liberal arts education.
Stairs: This position is located on the second floor of a building without an elevator.
Compensation and Benefits:
Macalester employees enjoy an excellent benefits package. Please review the 2022 Benefits Summary for more information about employee benefits at Macalester College. The salary range for the Social Media Specialist is $55,000-$65,000 depending on experience.
To be considered, please submit your cover letter and resume in one pdf to the posting on Macalester’s Employment Opportunities page. Priority will be given to candidates who apply by August 12, and the position will be posted until filled.
All inquiries regarding this position can be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:
For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.
Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]