Faculty/Academic StaffMajor Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural ScienceDepartment:
Computational Math Sci And Engr Cns 40000838Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad StaffSalary:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceLocation:
Research/Scientific, Tenure System Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
All areas of mathematical data science will be considered. Special consideration will be given to candidates with a background in the geometry and topology of big data and its application to real-world domains including but not limited to neuroscience, molecular biology, atmospheric science, image processing, etc.
A significant area of research focus within CMSE is on the synergy between forward modeling and data science in physical and biological sciences. Meeting the position's research expectations will require obtaining external funding and publishing peer-reviewed papers in national and international journals and/or conference proceedings. In addition to developing an internationally-recognized, externally funded research program, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute high-quality teaching and service/outreach, and have a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Teaching will include one undergraduate or graduate course per semester as well as graduate and postdoctoral training. Service will include participation in campus and national/international programs. The anticipated start date is August 16, 2022.
Required Degree is Ph.D. in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or related field
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science
Ph.D. is required prior to the start of employment. Research in the mathematical foundation of data science.
Postdoctoral experience is preferred, but not required.
Prior instructional experience as a lecturer and/or teaching assistant is desirable, but not required.
Required Application Materials
The application dossier should include:
- Cover letter: One page that frames the application in the context of this ad and CMSE at Michigan State University
- CV: Including a list of publications, accepted proposals for funding or other resources, contributed or invited presentations, teaching and mentoring experiences, leadership positions, contributions to the academic community, and public outreach efforts. Other professional information may also be included, as the applicant sees fit.
- Research statement: A 4-5-page summary of research focus including the relevance of the research, research accomplishments, and future research plans. This statement should also describe past experiences with and future plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in research (e.g., through grant-funded research, publications, etc.).
- Teaching statement: A 1-2 page description of teaching and mentoring philosophy, experiences, goals, and plans to address these goals. This statement should also describe past experiences with and future plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in teaching and mentoring (e.g., through mentoring, pedagogy, etc.).
- Referee information: The names and email contact information for four individuals who can provide reference letters. References will be contacted to solicit letters for candidates selected for a short list. At least one of the letters must specifically address the applicant’s ability to teach.
Together-we-will StatementThe university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of applications will begin August 10, 2022. While reference letters will not be Questions regarding the position may be directed to Dr. Shin-Han Shiu, Chair of the Search Committee ([email protected]).
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Jul 25, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Aug 10, 2022 Eastern Daylight Time