Grounds Maintenance Attendant
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
$18.54 per hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Grounds Manager, the Grounds Maintenance Attendant is responsible for maintenance of the College landscaping, grounds and athletic fields, snow and ice removal and when assigned, to provide a safe and attractive environment. This position is considered essential during weather related closings.Responsibilities:
- Maintain campus lawns;
- Remove snow/ice from walks, drive and parking lots;
- Maintain athletic fields, natural and synthetic, using appropriate lawn care procedures including striping of playing surfaces, dragging of infields, mowing, irrigating, fertilizing and controlling weed growth;
- Maintain campus trees and shrubs;
- Maintain planting beds, including annual flower rotations and displays;
- Maintaining and operating landscape irrigation systems;
- Perform minor parking lot and road repairs using hot and cold patch;
- Utilize grounds maintenance equipment and tools including but not limited to: riding mowers, rototillers, lawn sweepers, aerators, snow plow, tractors and salt spreaders;
- Collect trash from all exterior trash receptacles and performs litter collection;
- Wild life control as needed;
- Respond to after hour calls for snow/ice removal;
- Perform other duties as assigned;
- Willingness to work overtime as available.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Five (5) years’ experience in the maintenance and care of grounds is required;
- Must possess knowledge and technical skills required for the maintenance of landscaped surfaces;
- Knowledge of, or demonstrated ability to learn, irrigation systems programming and operations;
- Knowledge of maintenance of athletic fields is preferred;
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License;
- New York State Pesticide Applicators License Category 3A is preferred;
- New York State Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator license is preferred;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including understanding, speaking, reading and writing;
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact information. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2731.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency