Sr. Assoc Athletic Director/CFOPosting Number:
Asst AD Business & FinanceWorking Title:
Sr. Assoc Athletic Director/CFOClassification Code:
1081RCW Exemption Criteria:
16 - Principal AssistantEWU Position Number:
Exempt - Administrative% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
AE - 111Salary Information:
$85,000Anticipated Start Date:
Position is available now.Term of Appointment:
12 months per yearLocation:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Vara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email address:
[email protected]Job Summary:
About Eastern Washington University:
- Eastern Washington University is currently recruiting for the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Business Operations/CFO. Reporting to the Associate Vice-President/Director of Athletics the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Business Operations (Sr. Assoc. AD/CFO) plays a integral role in leading key operations for the organization. The Sr. Assoc. AD/CFO serves as a member of the Athletics executive staff and provides strategic leadership and vision to support staff operations while setting high standards and ethical business practices. The position oversees a large and diverse portfolio including the overall management of the athletic business office which includes all business operations, finance and budgeting, human resources, payroll and benefits, risk management, travel, accounts payable, procurement, computing services, logistics and coordination for post-season football and basketball operations. Sport Supervision with programs to be determined.
- The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.Diversity Statement:
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
Tribal Land Acknowledgement
Eastern Washington University resides within the traditional homelands of the Spokane People and other tribes who are connected through their shared history of this region. This land holds their cultural DNA and it is their Ancestors who are here and bring forth the knowledge of this place—the knowledge that comes from the land.
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
Pre-Placement Physical :
- Rules compliance is an important responsibility of this position. Employee shall support and comply with all applicable rules and regulations of the NCAA, the Big Sky Conference, and other established bodies that govern intercollegiate athletics and the University. Knowledge of and compliance with State of Washington Accounting Rules and related RCW’s and university financial policies is critical. In the event the employee becomes aware, or has reasonable cause to believe, that violations of rules compliance may have taken place, employee shall report same promptly to the AVP/Director of Athletics, CFO, Compliance Coordinator, or his/her designee.
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
- COVID-19 Vaccination and Exemption Information link: https://inside.ewu.edu/hr/
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required in Sports Management, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Five years of of experience in demonstrated areas of budget and finance in a business or athletic setting.
- Progressive experience using financial and quantitative tools for modeling, analysis and reporting, and the ability to think strategically and analytically, solve problems and make solution-oriented recommendations and decisions.
- Experience in supervising personnel, including evaluations.
- Experience with application of accounting principles and knowledge of building a budget and budget review.
- Demonstrated successful experience in accounting and financial/budget management and in managing and tracking multi-fund budgets.
- Experience providing budgetary and strategic planning support to the head of a complex organization.
- Demonstrated experience with database and spreadsheet creating and management, specifically Excel.
- Well-developed interpersonal, conceptual, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate and handle last minute concerns
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with various constituencies.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgement.
- Ability to participate effectively in team efforts and in diverse groups of constituencies.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience working in an intercollegiate athletic setting.
- Experience creating policies, procedures, and systems.
- CPA Degree or MBA
- Finance experience in higher education
Work Schedule Type:
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing
- Organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- High professionals and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.Posting Date:
Evenings and week-end work when job demands require.
07/18/2022Open Until Further Notice:
08/07/2022Screening to Begin:
08/01/2022Special Instructions to Applicants:
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.Application Types Accepted:
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, email addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume.
3. Complete the online application form. Professional references may be the same as listed on your resume.
4. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public
Profile% of Time:
75Responsibility / Duty:
Essential Function Indicator:
- Responsible for the daily management of all fiscal activities of the NCAA Division I Athletic Department to ensure fiscally responsible operations because of sound budget management practices, budget to actual performance analysis, auditing processes and fiscal integrity across financial-related matters (e.g., competition, revenue, cash handling policies, reimbursements, purchasing, etc.)
- This position will ensure alignment to and compliance with Federal, State, Conference, Institutional, and NCAA laws and regulations.
- Provide assistance and oversight, collaborating with the office of Business Affairs regarding the annual audit, EADA report, and annual budget reports for the Board of Trustees.
- The Senior Assoc. AD/CFO will ensure applicable technology is contemporary, relevant, value-added, and efficient.
Yes% of Time:
15Responsibility / Duty:
Essential Function Indicator:
- Supervise all full-time members of the Athletic Business Office, responsible for all training, on-boarding, scheduling, and performance management. they will assign workload and delegate projects to the Business Office staff.
- Ensure timely completion of processing and payment of purchase orders, procards, and invoices in a timely and accurate manner.
- Oversee the daily preparation and reconciliation of operating budgets for each of the Athletic Department sports and administrative areas. Create monthly financial reports in an accurate and timely manner and clearly communicate monthly financial data to all head coaches and heads of departments. Advise senior staff and head coaches about on-going finance, budget, and business issues, and develop financial models for planning purposes.
- Establish monitoring processes for oversight of spending by sports and administrative units. Works directly with various internal and external constituencies such as coaches, staff, the NCAA, 3rd party financial auditors etc. to ensure proper execution of the department’s fiscal goals and expectations.
- Assist Senior Executive team in bench marking analysis related to all major cost centers and department generated revenues. Produce analytical reports to inform short-term and long-term financial decisions.
Yes% of Time:
10Responsibility / Duty:
Essential Function Indicator:
- Is responsible for coordinating football scheduling with the Assoc. VP/AD and the Head Football Coach. In addition, this position handles all football game negotiations and contract development.
- Represent and be able to make presentations on behalf of the Athletic Department and the University to campus, conference, and NCAA committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including the potential opportunity for sport supervision.