POSITION TITLE: GROUNDSKEEPER (3A)
DEPARTMENT: Facility Services
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Facility Services
REPORTS TO: Superintendent for Facility Services/Roads and Grounds
PLACEMENT: Buildings and Grounds Level 3A or 3B
MINIMUM PAY RATE:$25.69 per hour (3A)
*Internal candidates (3B): Hourly rate is subject to the terms of the current union contract.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Groundskeeper works with a team to water, mow, and maintain campus grounds as directed. Performs routine groundskeeper functions of the assigned common areas; reports needed repairs and/or maintenance to the appropriate party. Will also sweep parking lots and roadways, pick up trash, and may assist on other projects as directed. Work is primarily outdoors and will involve the use of power equipment such as lawnmowers, edger, string trimmer, and leaf blowers. Assures assigned work is completed in a professional efficient manner. Accountable for prompt, efficient customer service.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. General upkeep of the exterior campus facilities.
2. Snow removal from campus roads, parking lots and sidewalks.
3. Prepare for athletic and other special events on campus.
4. Operate commercial mowers, industrial tractors/loaders, trailers, sprayers, chain saws, 4x4 trucks, dump trucks, backhoe, string trimmers, irrigation equipment, utility vehicles and all related equipment.
5. Successfully maintain, repair and operate the irrigation system and the controller.
6. Apply herbicides, insecticides and fertilizers.
7. Maintain all Grounds Division equipment and inventory equipment, tools, materials and supplies.
8. Implement and maintain campus landscapes.
9. Report all damage of exterior campus facilities and equipment to the Grounds Superintendent.
10. Receive training for Grounds care.
11. This position will require 24-hour on-call status during snow removal season (approx. Mid-November to Mid-April).
12. Other duties as assigned.
13. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Possess and maintain a minimum of a valid class "C" Non-CDL Illinois Driver's License or obtain such license within the ninety (90) calendar day probationary period.
3. Possess a valid Illinois Pesticide Operator's License or obtain such license within the ninety (90) calendar day probationary period.
4. High degree of mechanical ability in equipment repair.
5. Must pass physical examination including lifting 50 lbs. from ground to waist high.
6. Ability to work from a ladder or power lift above ground to a height of 30 feet.
7. Ability to communicate effectively.
8. Ability to serve as a crew leader for a culturally diverse group.
9. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
10. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation and quality.
1. Associates degree in Ornamental Horticulture.
2. Two years of successful experience in a related position preferred.
3. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
4. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
EQUIPMENT AND/OR MACHINES USED:
Power equipment such as edger, leaf blowers, commercial mowers, industrial tractors/loaders, trailers, sprayers, chain saws, 4x4 trucks, dump trucks, backhoe, string trimmers, irrigation equipment, utility vehicles and all related equipment.
The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, bend, use hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb ladders or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, see and hear, push/pull equipment and supplies. Ability to lift, carry, stack and maneuver objects on a regular basis with a minimum weight of 50 lbs. is required. Vision requirements include close and distance vision and ability to adjust focus. Ability to work from a ladder or power lift above ground to a height of 30 feet.
Work is indoors/outdoors. The employee must be able to work safely in an environment containing chemicals, landscaping materials, dust and noise. Frequently required to work under inclement weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally loud. Be willing and able to go up in an open lift to heights of approximately 30 feet. Display knowledge of safe operation of equipment while maintaining the level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and OSHA requirements.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):